The MG.

R0016538.jpg

Well I'm not sure it's really a wip but I thought I'd let you all know how things are going so far.

Since buying the car just before Christmas she's had a fair bit of cash spent on her.
First the Cam belts & the water pump have been changed, the cambelts are supposed to be changed at 60,000 miles or after 6 years if memory serves me right, the MG was on 55,000 when I bought & the previous owner had never had the belts changed. It's just as well I got the job done because one of the belt tensioners was found to be damaged.

thisone.jpg

Also a grumbly near side front wheel bearing was replaced at the same time, but there was still a rumbling noise coming from the rear.
The guys who done the cambelts said the tyres may be to blame. So today she went in for a pair of new boots & Powerflow exhaust, the old system was starting to blow.

R0016537.jpg

The tyre fitter confirmed that the rears were shot & explained that the rubber on the inside edge was cracked & that would allow water into the interior of the tyre carcass where it would corrode the steel banding & allow the tyre to deform. I also splashed out on a four wheel alignment while the car was there as well.

I've replaced the tired MG badges too & replaced thme with spanky new ones.

The next jobs are to fit a oil catch tank, uprate the air filter & I'll probably change the discs & pads in the near future too.
There's some cosmetic jobs to be done but they'll have to wait until I'm happy with the car mechanically.

But for now the car is rumble free & sounding fab with it's new zorst. :bigsmile:

Last edited:
I was not even remotely close, does hydraulic count though? :amuse:
Nice one Loz, so this is what you will be up to the weekend then I take it? ;)

I might do but I'm not sure, the destructions are very good but I'm not feeling confident with the thought of messing around with clutch parts & hydraulic fluid so I may have a professional fit it for me just to safe.

It's another of those annoying cost cutting measures that mg did that spoilt what could have been really good cars. The zs came from the 45\400 which in turn where basically rebadged hondas. Except where honda would use quality, durable components, mg put cheap ones in. Sheddist's kit is derived from the honda parts, although to be fair he does a fair bit of work to adapt it to a zs.

Was going to say it was a slave cylinder for your clutch, i remember you and badger saying about this stuff before :)

Yup, I mentioned it a while back I've been waiting since January for the kit. :lol:
The problem is Sheddist gets a lot of PM's so it's easy to be overlooked.
Still the timings good because the shifting is starting feel abit 'off'. :D

Lol Ma. :lol:

Not many goodies really, It's mostly preventative maintenance at the moment & working through the list of little things to do.

There's cosmetic doings required as well but I want all the mechanicals done first. The other fly in the ointment is that I quite fancy a MKII Saloon in the near future so I'm reluctant to spend too much money on this one. :amuse:

There was a Sprintex supercharger kit available for the ZS 180 & I think it was fitted as standard to all ZS's that went to Australia, but I don't know how many are left in the UK.

Might be worth looking for an Australian breaker though... :amuse:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back