The MG.

R0016538.jpg

Well I'm not sure it's really a wip but I thought I'd let you all know how things are going so far.

Since buying the car just before Christmas she's had a fair bit of cash spent on her.
First the Cam belts & the water pump have been changed, the cambelts are supposed to be changed at 60,000 miles or after 6 years if memory serves me right, the MG was on 55,000 when I bought & the previous owner had never had the belts changed. It's just as well I got the job done because one of the belt tensioners was found to be damaged.

thisone.jpg

Also a grumbly near side front wheel bearing was replaced at the same time, but there was still a rumbling noise coming from the rear.
The guys who done the cambelts said the tyres may be to blame. So today she went in for a pair of new boots & Powerflow exhaust, the old system was starting to blow.

R0016537.jpg

The tyre fitter confirmed that the rears were shot & explained that the rubber on the inside edge was cracked & that would allow water into the interior of the tyre carcass where it would corrode the steel banding & allow the tyre to deform. I also splashed out on a four wheel alignment while the car was there as well.

I've replaced the tired MG badges too & replaced thme with spanky new ones.

The next jobs are to fit a oil catch tank, uprate the air filter & I'll probably change the discs & pads in the near future too.
There's some cosmetic jobs to be done but they'll have to wait until I'm happy with the car mechanically.

But for now the car is rumble free & sounding fab with it's new zorst. :bigsmile:

Last edited:
Sounds like you have spent a tidy sum on the old girl Loz! It's looking very nice indeed :)

I'm trying to think about it too much, I've nearly spent as much as I've paid for her! :lol::lol::lol:

...or the other way of looking it, it just shows how cheap they are to buy! :lol:

Last edited:
looking good loz but i think the wheels are crying out for a anthracite or black respray;)
also i have a catch tank here you can have for cheap its got 15mm hose ends if thats any good to you??

looking good loz but i think the wheels are crying out for a anthracite or black respray;)
also i have a catch tank here you can have for cheap its got 15mm hose ends if thats any good to you??

Aah! glad you mentioned catch tank Herb ;) I was looking on the Demon Tweeks website again and I saw these universal very bright and shiny oil catch tanks :amuse: can you explain to me it's role in laymans terms please and would I benefit by fitting one on my Saab?

I apologise in advance to young Loz if I am hijacking his thread :bigsmile:

Cheers Pm'd. :D
New alloys are on the wish list, then I'll get these ones refurbed & painted. :D

Aah! glad you mentioned catch tank Herb ;) I was looking on the Demon Tweeks website again and I saw these universal very bright and shiny oil catch tanks :amuse: can you explain to me it's role in laymans terms please and would I benefit by fitting one on my Saab?

I apologise in advance to young Loz if I am hijacking his thread :bigsmile:

That's quite alright. :amuse:

The catch tank is needed on the MG because the oil vapour is routed back into the intake plenum where it collects & fouls up the VIS motors (they control the inlet manifold length) & the delicate mechanism that links the butterflys together (I think I've got that right :embarrest:). Anyway it's really bad for the inlet system so it's best to divert it all into a catch tank.

Last edited:
Cheers Pm'd. :D
New alloys are on the wish list, then I'll get these ones refurbed & painted. :D

That's quite alright. :amuse:

The catch tank is needed on the MG because the oil vapour is routed back into the intake plenum where it collects & fouls up the VIS motors (they control the inlet manifold length) & the delicate mechanism that links the butterflys together (I think I've got that right :embarrest:). Anyway it's really bad for the inlet system so it's best to divert it all into a catch tank.

Cheers Loz ;)

Looking good Loz.
T9 it catches all the rubbish that gets in the oil.

no it catches the oily vapor and stop the majority of it going in to the intake;)
but in my case (which is why i removed it) if the pcv valve is doing its job correctly its not needed!
best way to check t9 is take 1 of your boost hoses of and see if there is excess oil on the inside of the pipe (when i say excess i mean dripping some oily vapour will always get through;))

no it catches the oily vapor and stop the majority of it going in to the intake;)
but in my case (which is why i removed it) if the pcv valve is doing its job correctly its not needed!
best way to check t9 is take 1 of your boost hoses of and see if there is excess oil on the inside of the pipe (when i say excess i mean dripping some oily vapour will always get through;))

Many thanks Herb :) there's at least one arm and two legs invested in that engine, would hate to see anything happen to it ;)

Her Indoors has missed out on quite a bit while the engine has been taking shape! but at least none of her designer high heeled shoes have been harmed while making this engine! :lol::lol:

Looks like I need a catch tank then as well, what do you do with the caught oil then? Dispose of it? or can I just pour it back in? (if i've not changed the oil for clean stuff)

Sorry again Lozy, tidy looking motor there, you'll have to post up some clips of the exhaust noise.

When I had mine fitted to the Calibra 2.5 V6 and my Scooby, I just poured it away but it took quite a while to get anything in. More just dirty vapour than anything else.

Do they think people use them as a sump or something lmao. It's easier if you just strap it in rather than bolt it so you can easily remove and pour away. Can't understand the magnetic drain plug lol.

Thanks all, there's still plenty to do with the thing & I'm toying with the idea of turning it into a sleeper. :amuse:

... or taking all the good bits off a mark 2, being as there's one with a blown engine that's just come on the market! :lol:

My ZS has a part leather interior & I decided to treat the leather with some restorative goop today.

Sadly I noticed two small tears in the drivers bolster. :(

R0016539.jpg

Found a local Smart repair company on internets & I've made a request for a quote & sent some pics. I let you know what the price is. :confused:

Anyone else had a smart repair done on their car?​

Had some repairs done in my car on the door vinyl capping after some motherless neanderthal broke into my baby and the broken door glass scratched the trim! :( Cannot fault the repair, they had to pattern the whole trim as the cuts were quite deep, but I must say that I was very impressed with the end results :)

Get some salami and patch it yourself Loz!

I think most leather seats suffer from this problem, if only there was some sort of lift off and replacable panel used instead. I'm sure the repair you get will be invisible though, have seen some great work done in this area.

Get some salami and patch it yourself Loz!

I think most leather seats suffer from this problem, if only there was some sort of lift off and replacable panel used instead. I'm sure the repair you get will be invisible though, have seen some great work done in this area.

A proper trimmer can replace single panels of leather/vinyl/whatever to match the rest of the seat.

Hark! What is this that landed upon mine doorstep? :amuse:

7c07a26e.jpg

T'is a box of goodies...

1cd31fdc.jpg

A greeny to anyone who guess what this maybe for? (Stamford & Yugguy, you're not allowed to guess cos you already know. :p :amuse:)

Last edited:
:blink: Wild clueless guesses here, is it a water/meths kit? or is it a hydraulic controller for a set of low rider up and down hydraulic dampers with a supplied CD full of low rider tunes on it? :blink:;)

Could it be a hydraulic handbrake kit?

Edit: just had a closer look, is it a cable to hydraulic clutch conversion?

Yup. :bigsmile:

Manufactured by a well known member of the MG/Rover community, the kit replaces the rather poor OEM set up.

The main problems with the standard set up is that the bracket is too weak & prone to breaking the prior too sudden death gear shifts are spongy & not very smooth. There's a little more to it but I have to admit I don't fully understand the whole issue. :embarrest:

But what I do know is, the upgrade kit is better, stronger & also adjustable. So the standard high clutch pedal can be lowered to a more comfortable level & the biting point can be tuned as well.

Sheddist has been suppling these kits for a while now & I suspect if it wasn't for him there would be a fewer MGZS on the road! :lol:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back