The MG ZR

Hey folks,

So as some of you know, the old trusty died a horrible death by choking on its own internals.

It's replacement is this! A 2005 MG ZR 105 trophy +. Handles superbly, has a pretty quick 2nd gear and is overall tons of fun! FSH, 33,000 miles and one lady owner from new.

A picture after a proper clean!

IMG_20121228_150631.jpg

Sorry about the brother, bit of an eye sore... :lol:

Couple outside the missus's house.

IMG_20121224_124721.jpg

IMG_20121224_124731.jpg

IMG_20121224_124822.jpg

IMG_20121224_124747.jpg

Wheels have a little kerbing

Future plans include a turbo conversion, either a ZT-T 1.8 or a T16. Needs some lowering badly and a favorite in the MGZR community seems to be Avo lowering springs. Hopefully to entice me over until conversion day, it will get either TF135 Cams, vernier pullies and a remap with a full stainless exhaust system. That should tide me over....

So that's all for now!

Last edited:
Subscribed! :D

Car looks great, I do like those new shape MG's I came close to buying the Diesel version of one those.

Wasn't a fan to be honest at first... Test drove a few Mk1's and liked them. Then test drove a 66,000miled modified 1.4 Mk2 and fell in love! The Mk2 look has really grown on me! About bloody time too! I own one!! :lol:

I got a quote for a 2.0 diesel and the cheapest I had was £3900!!

Looks a real minter that, ignition blue?

Sure is! I was impressed when I drove it! Checked all the MG signs of ware and tear, no signs of the HGF but already had the Saab valve die on me 3 weeks in to owning it! Right in time for the snow!

Last edited:
As you can see here!

IMG_20130119_125024.jpg

That valve should have a spring mech in it... closed off by a bung...

As seen here...

IMG_20130119_125053.jpg

No idea how they work, but I know its extremely common.

Scrap the first picture!

This one shows it much clearer. Half way down that pipe as shown in image 2 there is supposed to be a bung the size of a 5p. It corrodes or something... leaving you with cold water flow and no heaters!

IMG_20130119_124946.jpg

Okay does any one know how to replace the images as I moved them from there old folder.

Anyway... Update!

After washing my car, I noticed it was still a bit...gritty. So I went to Halfrauds to buy a new wash Mitt.... Ended up buying these as well! Originally wanted what Loz bought, Blaupunkt components... But they didn't have any so these will do!

IMG_20130302_171714_zpsfe3cb3da.jpg

IMG_20130302_172158_zps17e811c1.jpg

Heard them in the store and they sounded proper good. So at £26.99 thought they were a steal. Much better then the bog standard ones anyway.

Will be doing an oil change Monday so will also update on that too.

I'll upload them again if you like?

Anyway.. Got round to installing the speakers..

Small problem as they wouldn't fit here...

IMG_20130304_122230_zpseeffd25f.jpg

So had to improvise and fit them on the doorcard!

IMG_20130304_122237_zps2701f3b9.jpg

IMG_20130304_124701_zpsfd4db071.jpg

I personaly think they don't look bad! Very tight fit though.

Anyway.. Got them all installed and decided to upgrade the tweeters too! By cutting a large hole out of the existing tweeter guard

IMG_20130304_131210_zps92739612.jpg

Then I figured my better tweeters came with mounts.. which fit in after some modifcation to the existing guard.

IMG_20130304_131234_zps4b146247.jpg

Like so...
IMG_20130304_152317_zps002ac4e5.jpg

Put the door cards back in both sides (Only got a shot of the driver side)

IMG_20130304_142548_zpse0653a92.jpg

Looks good I think!

So... On with the custom tweeter mounts

Right side...

IMG_20130304_190920_zps21bfea51.jpg

IMG_20130304_190912_zps5be7f131.jpg

Left side!

IMG_20130304_190850_zps1dd44e4c.jpg

IMG_20130304_190902_zpsd1d5b646.jpg

The custom mounts need much work.. They were just done, with a quick spray after wet and dry. Needs filling to be made completely smooth!

Also got round to doing a oil change and depending on funds I will fit some magnecor HT leads and spark plugs next Saturday!

Last edited:
Looking good mate, and those are really good speakers too. Me jealous, haven't sorted out the sound on my car, still sounds like a Iphone in a coffee tin.

Meant to update this yesterday!

So... Been loosing coolant since the Saab valve went. I think I took pics to document.

Decided to pull my finger out, buy a bleedin' inlet gasket after serveral failed and one successful attempt at finding the leak (hopefully) and decided to change the inlet manifold. PITA doesn't even begin to describe how many cuts and gashes I got doing this. Most awkward thing ever.

So changed it and flushed coolant... having some odd coolant issues, but the car seems stable.

I am completely shocked as to how a gasket can change the characteristics of a car. Every gear change is smoother, the pick up in all gears is vastly more powerful and 2nd gear.... Jesus Christ. It's only a 1.4 but goes like stink. So I think the gasket was on its way out anyway. The car before was juddery in gear down shifts, its not any more, and have had the coolant in the car without any sign of loss! Hooray!!!

Anything new to show us Dave? :)

In regards to updates.

No... Not really. Might put an induction kit on and a decent exhaust system, then book a remap...

I am still thinking about either turbo'ing my 1.4 using existing parts from a 1.8 turbo, as the exhaust manifold ports are the same and no mods are really required other then a oil feed from the block and a remap. But the exspensive bits are lower compression ratio and forged internals.

That.. or I save my self a ton of hassle and go straight in for a 1.8 turbo engine. which will see 180bhp after a remap to suit the new engine.

I just can't make my mind up! :sad2:

just do the engine swap, it's exactly the same engine dave, less messing about and i'm sure it's a well documented conversion on these....

just do the engine swap, it's exactly the same engine dave, less messing about and i'm sure it's a well documented conversion on these....

No there isn't mate... But it seems easy enough! The engine its self as you know is a K series, but with a turbo on the front, so the rad will need moving slightly and the fuel rail is different. Much cheaper then a T16 too...

Only problem is funds at the moment mate... and insurance.

Not sure what that is exactly, but I do know I would not like to have it flowing around my engine. I hope it's nothing terminal for your car.

Ouch, I hope it's not too expensive on your engine to sort out Dave.
Are the head gaskets a weak link here then stamford?

Ouch, I hope it's not too expensive on your engine to sort out Dave.
Are the head gaskets a weak link here then stamford?

There are a few reasons and theories as to why the head gaskets fail.

But there isn't really, or from what I have read, a solid reason why.

From what I have learnt, poor location of the thermostat, means it opens when the engine is hot and floods the coolant passages with cold coolant, causing thermal shock. Water pump seal being rather weak... Causing leaks that are untraceable and then the car suffers from over heating as there is no coolant. Same with the inlet manifold gasket. That tends to go aswell, causing similar problems.

Blimey :amazed: So you have invested in a breakdown recovery service then just in case Dave?
Well I suppose if you really love the car, then you are willing to put up with the cars little foibles as it were ;)

Blimey :amazed: So you have invested in a breakdown recovery service then just in case Dave?
Well I suppose if you really love the car, then you are willing to put up with the cars little foibles as it were ;)

The new PRT kit that Land Rover offer, relocates the stat and blanks the original one off. That then means the stat opens earlier meaning no thermal shock! All you can do is replace with better head bolts and the new uprated oil ladder and MLS gasket! and hope for the best!

The new PRT kit that Land Rover offer, relocates the stat and blanks the original one off. That then means the stat opens earlier meaning no thermal shock! All you can do is replace with better head bolts and the new uprated oil ladder and MLS gasket! and hope for the best!

The very best of luck with it Dave, I know what it is like to be up against it everytime you try to do something good on the car. This experience will make you all the more stronger with your knowledge of the car and it's engine. For me, almost 10 years ago when I bought the beast, I never dreamed that I would know as much of it's workings as I do now.

The very best of luck with it Dave, I know what it is like to be up against it everytime you try to do something good on the car. This experience will make you all the more stronger with your knowledge of the car and it's engine. For me, almost 10 years ago when I bought the beast, I never dreamed that I would know as much of it's workings as I do now.

Well... One thing leads to another then once you see what you've created then nothing prevents you from constantly changing things! :lol:

Keeps us busy though! :)

Also bear in-mind when checking the head for signs of warping that you cannot skim much off it. when done using the right parts it'll be good for years to come. Might pay to fit a low level warning indicator as they did on later cars and TFs. Also change the water pump and belt at the same time.

From what I remember the k-series does not have a large cooling capacity so any water leak not monitored can cause overheating very easily. The head gaskets originally specified were not good enough hence why Land Rover developed the MLS version plus new ladder rail etc. We run two MGFs in the family, both have had the work done and still going well after 4+ years use.

Also bear in-mind when checking the head for signs of warping that you cannot skim much off it. when done using the right parts it'll be good for years to come. Might pay to fit a low level warning indicator as they did on later cars and TFs. Also change the water pump and belt at the same time.

From what I remember the k-series does not have a large cooling capacity so any water leak not monitored can cause overheating very easily. The head gaskets originally specified were not good enough hence why Land Rover developed the MLS version plus new ladder rail etc. We run two MGFs in the family, both have had the work done and still going well after 4+ years use.

The head gasket is all fixed now and the car is running great! Picked it up Saturday night. Every thing has been replaced. The system is 4.5 litres I believe.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back