The MG ZR

Hey folks,

So as some of you know, the old trusty died a horrible death by choking on its own internals.

It's replacement is this! A 2005 MG ZR 105 trophy +. Handles superbly, has a pretty quick 2nd gear and is overall tons of fun! FSH, 33,000 miles and one lady owner from new.

A picture after a proper clean!

IMG_20121228_150631.jpg

Sorry about the brother, bit of an eye sore... :lol:

Couple outside the missus's house.

IMG_20121224_124721.jpg

IMG_20121224_124731.jpg

IMG_20121224_124822.jpg

IMG_20121224_124747.jpg

Wheels have a little kerbing

Future plans include a turbo conversion, either a ZT-T 1.8 or a T16. Needs some lowering badly and a favorite in the MGZR community seems to be Avo lowering springs. Hopefully to entice me over until conversion day, it will get either TF135 Cams, vernier pullies and a remap with a full stainless exhaust system. That should tide me over....

So that's all for now!

Last edited:
New update! Seems like whenever anything bad happens to T9's beast... Happens to me!

My exhaust literally fell off going over some bumpy roads, I wasn't going fast, just a steady 25mph. Next thing I knew.... SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAPEEEE.... Basically where the midpipe meets the cat, the joint was so rusted it fell apart! So quickly bodged it back to together and booked the car to have a new exhaust fitted at pipescraft! Good reviews all round and was recommened to them by a friend who has had several exhausts fitted by them.

Good reviews all round and was recommened to them by a friend who has had several exhausts fitted by them.

Now to my way of thinking, this could be viewed one of three different ways young Dave:

1) The guy has lots of different cars; hence lots of exhausts being fitted.

2) The guy is uber fussy and cannot make his mind up about the sound the exhaust makes; hence lots of exhausts being fitted.

3) The guy has had nothing but trouble with the exhausts built; hence lots of exhausts being fitted.

:blink:

Now to my way of thinking, this could be viewed one of three different ways young Dave:

1) The guy has lots of different cars; hence lots of exhausts being fitted.

2) The guy is uber fussy and cannot make his mind up about the sound the exhaust makes; hence lots of exhausts being fitted.

3) The guy has had nothing but trouble with the exhausts built; hence lots of exhausts being fitted.

:blink:

He has had 5 cars since passing his test since he was 17! He now own a corolla T sport! He is now 22! So yeah... No.1! Come on Oz! You guilty of many, many exhausts! :lol:

Last edited:
lol, or 4) all of the above?

thought these cars had stainless systems fitted to them as standard?

Or the car I bought is a pit?

Sick of it now... Just bled the cooling system for 3rd time in the last 3 weeks since having the head gasket done! All the pipes around the engine get red hot, and I have narrowed it down to a blockage in the matrix. Seriously miss my 306.

Update:

All cooling issues seem to be fixed. Stat was buggered, and so was the Saab/Ranco valve. Fixed the valve and replaced the stat... Bled the system all day today and is now working. Hopefully...

Also.. ended up finding various pieces in my shed for my new exhaust.. As I already had the backbox, I simply knocked something together and wolla!

Sounds amazing. Pops too when letting of the throttle! But is shockingly whisper when cruising! So a good day all round.

Very very nice Dave, so what can you do if you actually have the right gear to hand? :amazed:

Here is a video of when I first fitted it. It sounds a bit different now, as I have shortened the exhaust extension somewhat.

That looks really good, I was lazy and just bought a Nismo one like everybody else, there is a nice looking radiator cap with built in thermometer on e bay I wanna get too.

Here is a picture of a comparison of the wheel. See how grubby it was? I also had new pads put in about 2 weeks ago, when new can they really create this much brake dust when bedding in?

Now this is after 2 washes, chamois'd and then rubbed down with micro fibre towls until the surface was as smooth as glass, and no friction between the towls and the paint were felt.

I am awful at taking pictures, but with a little sun light, and the blessing that is HDR, even an MG can look good! :lol:

Last edited:
Stow Maries. Now every one knows where I live, my mum makes a cracking cup of tea!

I may have to pop in for a decent cup of tea then Dave, all I get is tea from an instant Flavia machine, I can't turn up empty handed, does mum prefer cakes or biscuits? :lol:

Your car is looking good buddy, when is the visit to the wheel refurbishers due then.

I may have to pop in for a decent cup of tea then Dave, all I get is tea from an instant Flavia machine, I can't turn up empty handed, does mum prefer cakes or biscuits? :lol:

Your car is looking good buddy, when is the visit to the wheel refurbishers due then.

Both? :lol:

I was waiting till some body picked up on that! They were like that when I bought them! Honest!

I want to get them powder coated white buddy, when ever I have some spare money as they're not a priority.

Understood young man, once powder coated to the finish that you desire, I think you will prove to be uber fussy in their future protection ;)

So bought a new mid section as I was bored of the current sound.

I wish I hadn't when I begun! These pesky bolts! Nearly got an angle grinder! Completely rounded and rusted beyond belief!

Managed to get the poxy thing off! I think the picture shows how I felt...

This is its new replacement

Thats it fitted!

Last edited:
Understood young man, once powder coated to the finish that you desire, I think you will prove to be uber fussy in their future protection ;)

Sorry! I missed this!

That's what I worry about! I already clean the little Zed twice a week! Polish monthly, and a wax when the wind is blowing in the right direction! :lol:

And the sound? are you pleased with your efforts Dave? ;)

Orgasmic. Quite, really hush when driving above 60mph. A little raspy when giving it some beans but that will die down as carbon build up with silence it a tad. I am very happy... Considering I have hardly any tools and I am still prety new to this, I am very chuffed!

So....

I took a friend out on Friday night with a couple of friends just for a cruise around the sea front.

His words, exactly "Sounds like a combination of a 4cyc engine on throttle bodies, combined with the best Vtec cross over he knows of".

Chuffed, is an understatment. Glad he liked it and I am glad it sounds as awesome as it does!

Service time and PRT kit fitting... For those that are not too clued up about the K series, apparently 'Head Gaskets' are a problem.

LOL!

So this PRT kit, or 'Pressure Relief Thermostat' was made to retro fit to earlier K series engined Freelanders. Was originally factory equipped on MG TFs and MGFs.

So here it is! first thing is to remove top hose, bottom rad hose, lower coolant rail and block pipes. Then remove the rear coolant rail and take out the stat housing and fit that small blanking plate in its place.

Was it does is reloctes the stat to the front of the engine. Bypass and removes the odd 96 degree stat and opens at 82 degrees.

Here are some more fun bits and pieces!

And treated my self to a new badge!

Last edited:
Was all fun and games... Now before the service, and luckily I found it really. It must have been leaking ages and been burnt off whilst I was driving as it was coming from the stat housing! Didn't help with all this wet weather either!

Now it is all fitted and the rad fan doesnt even need to come on! Keeps the engine so much cooler! and was so much easier to bleed too!

Best £100 I ever spent.

A top view of the hose, and a few cheeky engine bay shots!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back