Sleepers Stagea project feature now up

some pics of the rear end work

at the start
gmbefore_zpsebaa3f38.jpg

rear end on the floor
rearendonfloor_zps04f27409.jpg

the arms with new polybushes
thearms_zps1b0c5686.jpg

lighter alloy hubs and new whiteline subframe bushes ( not just locking collars)
hubs_zps7cd4b75a.jpg

comparing the bushes that came out with the whiteline ones

gmpbush_zps538a07de.jpg

putting them in
gmbushesin_zps557f1c2e.jpg

the arms and hubs are fitted
armson_zpsadee33a3.jpg

then it was all back together with the Nismo S tune suspension.

So far we have had hardly any dry days to try the car out but the back end felt so much better on the way home even at normal speeds.

Looks like testing will have to wait as the car is going to be a guinea pig for some new electronic gizmos

Basically we are fitting a new G sensor system which is being developed by a boffin on the GTR oc site ( who happens to be a good mate )

The plan is that the Stagea will be fitted with a much better g sensor which will react much quicker than the nissan unit. This has already been proved worthwhile on GTRs.
The difference is that it has improved lateral g sensors as well which stageas dont have at all.

So I should be able to adjust the awd split and also be able to electronically control oversteer/understeer .
The systems has the software to control this - all we need to do is to fit a 33GTR awd ecu and wire in the lateral sensor . Simplezzz

Im told this shouldnt be too hard !!!

Luckily I wont be working out the wiring....... I only have to connect it up

Last edited:
The electonics package arrived so the work begins.

The plan is to fit a GTR awd ECU and an improved aftermarket G sensor with lateral sensors. ( skylab fusion)

This should make the GTR ecu think it is still in a GTR and react accordingly.

The ecu will plug direct into the stagea loom but has a slightly different pin outs so a few wires need to be added.

Although I will be doing this wiring it has been worked out by the designer of the fusion awd system (the new version of the proven skylab TSC)

When wired up the fusion has adjustment to bias both the awd front / rear split and the point at which the car reacts to any sideways movement.

This should improve the handling quite a bit as the stagea will now recognise under and oversteer and the system can be adjusted to respond to these changes to suit the surface , driver or if on track. It should also mean a better launch for standing quarters .

Sounds fascinating sleeper, I assume that this is the first time that this modification has been done to a car other than a GTR. I for one hope that you are successful with your mission.

Sounds fascinating sleeper, I assume that this is the first time that this modification has been done to a car other than a GTR. I for one hope that you are successful with your mission.

yes this is unchartered territory or it was.......................

The work is now completed - There were always going to be a few problems" but they turned out to be in areas I had not even thought of .

The GTR ecu mounting brackets are different ( to be expected ) but I didnt think they would be part of the actual ecu housing. and even worse the light for the fault codes is in a different place .
The only way was to make some new brackets and mount the ecu on the inner wing inside the rear cabin. At least the fault codes can be read in situ now.

Took the car out today for a proper test drive and it all works. :D
In fact it may be the best handling mod Ive done to the car.

I decided to try it out with the "winter tyres" (Dunlop F1s) rather that the 888s
With the adjustment set on max towards RWD the back end will come out but when turned the other way it doesnt breakaway at all .
It grips so well that I will need to go on track to test it any further.

Also the car used to understeer when pushed but this goes when the lateral sensor adjustment is wound up. Again need to get on track to see how much better it is

The front rear bias works and the sensors are definately quicker . I only get a little wheelspin when I use the launch control . Hopefully with the 888s on it will launch without wheelspin which should be highly entertaining

So all in all one happy bunny

Pics on installl to follow

I have to admit that I am somewhat jealous of the electronic suspension gizmos :)

8.9 in a tank is very impressive! How much does it weigh? What front/rear power split did you use?

Are you planning any trips to the Pod this sesson?

8.9 I wish
I think you may have got two topics mixed up og This time has genuinely been done by road legal stagea but it was in new Zealand
Although it looked standard(ish) it was fitted with a trick auto box ( trick means I think it was a two speed and set up for the strip but I don't know the make or details)
The car had a stroked rb26 engine and ran these times cosistantly last seaon.
The spec was kept secret but the name megawot may give the power away
The power plant is now being put in a 34 gtr because cool as it was to have a sub 9 big estate to go further it had to shed some pounds.

As to going to the pod this year ,absolutely but my target time is a tad higher . Certainly a 12 should be possible but to do any better I will need to shed a few pounds and learn to drive on the strip.

Last edited:
:)

Well, I did wonder :) Shame, as I was gonig ask for your secret :)

You have also had a white MC, I notice? Looks very much like our Puff.

Whisper has similar fur to Mups. Unlike her brother's that doesn't knot, it is a constant battle to keep her knot free as her fur is very fine.

I am so glad you got there in the end sleeper, you must be so proud of yourself right now! Looking forward to those pictures :)

As promised some pics

The new box of tricks fitted to the original mounting bracket. This means it can be bolted up and will be the right angle (quite important for g sensors :bigsmile:)

with appropriate connectors (hadnt heated the shrink connectors when I took the pic )

All installed and levelled

Then fitted the controller where the ashtray used to be - Just covered the colsole with dry carbon and resin

Seemed best to continue the new engine iinstall of this thread so.................

Picked the new motor up today

The new power plant is a step two 2.8 HKS Engine.

basic spec is

HKS steel crank
HKS forged rods and pistons
step two HKS cams
gas flowed head
HKS springs , lifters etc.
jun oil pump
modified waterways
Trust extended sump
Quaife torque bias diff
ATI harmonic damper
It also has a crank and cam trigger kit which replaces the CAS unit . The signals are much clearer and more reliable especially at high rpm.
The improved signals also allow sequential fueling

This will require an upgrade for the ECU which will probably be a Link G4 .
Another bonus is that it can run a closed loop control.
This means that with a wideband sensor system the ECU can self correct settings in real time ( within a 5-10% margin )

Put simply it can be revved higher safely.