Sheep drivers following the heard

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you noticed that everyone is content to follow a slowish car until someone overtakes.

Then all of a sudden it is as if people suddendly remember that you can overtake.

Have you notice this? Are you a bit of a sheep? Why do you think this happens?

I'm sure our roads would flow better if there was more overtaking done.

I'm usually first to get the overtaking underway; it never ceases to amaze me how many will follow something for miles and miles and completely ignore several opportunities to pass quickly and safely.

I usually get forced into it due to work wagons not quite being good enough to overtake without a long run-up and a long straight clear stretch to get past.

The wagon I used from Retford is a case in point - absolutely crap acceleration, takes longer to reach 40 than most cars 70. Trying to join the A1(S) at the A57/A614 junction, and I used all the slip road flat out and still only hit about 50 - not exactly brilliant with patients on board - good job it was quiet enough for the other drivers to pull out.

I've seen a little Panda 1.0 overtaking loads of cars. He got up a fair bit of speed first so was passing with speed in hand rather than accelerating. After he went past other cars started to follow. It did seem like drivers had forgot they could overtake slower cars.

WAKE UP!