Old drivers good or bad or dangerous?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Every-time an "old" driver is involved in a crash like hitting the wrong pedal in an automatic there is a cry for us to have our right to drive taken away once we become considered as being "old"

I firmly am of the opinion that "old" is more a state of mind rather than body.

I encounter slow lane hogging oldies and I have come to a conclusion that they drive that way as they have become fearful of traffic and out of their comfort zone due in part to very limited experience in today's hi volume traffic. I regularly drive in both peak hour and off peak traffic in both city and highway traffic with no worries as well as tow my car hundreds of klm's to and from events that I enter.

FYI I have to have a yearly medical and eye test I have better than 20/20 vision |B

Last edited:
People do like to generalise which is a shame and it is the small minority that give the whole group a bad name.

Old drivers cause less damage than young drivers, statistically this is why younger drivers pay so much for their car insurance.

Experience but limited motor skills and reflexes always trumps superior reflexes and motorskills from the youthful lack of experience gang with their overconfidence. We have all been there and will all end up there too!

One has to survive youth and inexperience to gain experience and hopefully be fully aware of their ability OR lack of ability behind the wheel OR handlebars IMHO ;)

Over my 6 years of defensive driver instruction I have sat beside a few that to my way of thinking should not be licensed to drive anything with wheels BUT sadly IMO the bar is set way too low and we have anxious ,nervous and indecisive people behind the wheel who can't merge smoothly into a roundabout or into free flowing highway traffic at speed or move off briskly when the light turns green and hog the right lane @ 10kph below the limit on a clear day and are a danger to themselves and others.

Just thinking out loud with my 2 cents worth.

Last edited: