Part worn tyres, good value or corner cutting

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on part worn tyres? They are more regulated than they used to be and fitter can only sell tyres that meet strict quality controls.

I've noticed that a lot of the pricing doesn't quite add up.

New tyre with 7mm tread depth £235
Part worn Tyre with 3mm tread depth £130

A tyre is illegal at 1.6 mm so the new tyres is worth £43.00 per mm of tread depth. If you replace it at 2.0 or 3.00 then this amount will vary.

The true value of the part worn tyre is nearer £60.20 assuming it's only got 1.4 mm of legal tread left on it. So if you buy new tyres, use then for half of their life and then sell them on you can save yourself a fortune.

I know how Paul feels on the subject, he replaces his tyres when they get that low.

I suppose that it's a good idea if you're selling the car. Rather than buying some brand new rubbish brand tyres then it makes sence because in a way it makes the car more appealing, or at least it would to me.

Ideally stick them on a spare set of rims and swap em over to your road legal tyres for the drive home! (For performance you'll be going for a smaller alloy size as well?;))

a good idea imo, when i was younger used to go for these as i was always swapping cars and never had a car long enogh to warrant putting brand new ones on.

I can only afford second hand tyres since money has gone to other maintenence and upkeep of the car - so far so good.

If I buy part worn I insist on the top brands like Micheline, Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Yokohoma and Continental.

They are not that cheap now. I think there are more rim sizes than ever before so it's often hard to find tyres in your size.

O yeah absolutely, I wouldn't buy part worn cheapo brand, the only reason I would buy part worn because you can have the top brands on the cheap.

I know someone who reacently bought 2 Michelins for £15! for 2!!! and Michelin tend to be the most expensive.

We have a part worn tyre dealer in Chelmsford. If it wasn't for the fact that the little 'tags' are worn off, the tyres they sell look new.

They only buy from reliable sources and they are guarenteed for the life of the tyre.

Talking to the owner, they get their tyres from places like Ford's testing and development department. These tyres have often only done a few miles. Another source is the Middle and Far East where rich owners change their tyres reguarly regardless of whether they have actually used them or not!

Bought a pair of tyres (Continentals) for my Chevy Blazer - £64 including valves, balancing and disposal of old tyres and they looked virtually brand new.

Sounds like a good deal then,

But are those middle easten tyres any good on UK roads though cause I've heard that hotter countries get a slightly harder compound tyre.

i often buy part worns. purely because they are cheap.
and they often look like new.
i had a chat with the guy that ran the place, and he said he gets most of his from japan, because they have much stricter regulations on how low the tread can get before it is deemed illegal. and since japan tends to be full of people modding cars, it's a win for us as most of them are good brands! :)

We have a place about 15miles from where i live which only sell High quality partworns, ie Toyo's, Yoko's, Eagle F1's etc etc. i can get a 4/5mm Toyo T1R for £30 a peice fitted with 4 or 5mm tread. Happy days!

I get part worns for the Discovery, bargin quality brands too, company car drivers tend to ditch them long before they are needed. I buy decent part worns for track use as new tyres will overheat and de-laminated so these are ideal. I have a spare set of wheels just for track use and decent wheels and tyres for everyday. I cannot justify using R888s as they are stupidly expensive.

I have two 195/45/16 80v Contisports in the garage that came off the back of my Clio when I changed the wheels. They have 6mm tread across the whole of the tyre, they are evenly worn as they came off a new car. Absolutely nowt wrong with them and it's time I stuck them on ebay.

If they're properly inspected then there should be little to worry about. Personally I'd avoid tyres designed for hotter climates - their wet grip is pretty compromised compared to tyres designed for our climate.