Octy Mk2 VRS - devil fuelled

OK thought id better get this started seeing as the bora has now gone to car heaven

only one pic of the car the now as not had the time or the weather to get the car properly cleaned up

utf-8BR2F0ZXNoZWFkLTIwMTExMTE5LTAwMDk3LmpwZw.jpg

1 2009 VRS TDI CR. decided to go with the newer CR engine rather than the older PD engines as there seem to be more issues with the DPF on the PD engines as they produce too much smoke and were never designed to run alongside the DPF. there was also the good old injector issues as with the 1.9 PD engine - for those who dont know the 2nd pump in the PD engines is the injector itself.

some work needs done so as its still under warranty then its going into skoda next friday to get looked at. central locking within the car doesnt work and the rear wiper is more temperamental than a woman. it works when its dry but when wet then its a no go, apparently this is a common issue and the best advise is to rip it off and plug the hole up.

OK plans for the car
not that many in reality as this car will be staying nearly standard.

1) remember the w8 interior light in the bora. well the red backlit switches wouldnt go well with the skoda green so one Superb light has been ordered after some difficulty with the parts dept - couldnt give them a reg so they weren't willing to order it up incase it didnt fit. Just need to get some more matt black spray paint then fit
should light up the interior a bit more as its pitch black when driving

2) seat cupra splitter - still not 100% sold on this, does look good

3) set of R32 brakes sitting waiting to be painted from Blue to red, also need to order up the longer brake lines and splash shields. this isnt a massive brembo swap like on the bora simply increasing the piston from 57mm to 59mm and disc size from 312mm to 345mm.

4) Head unit swapped from the standard to the sat nav one if i can find a decently priced one.

5) Pressed plates to get rid of the dealer ones

6) ohh of course a remap ;)

Well shes been mapped and what a difference. just a generic stage 1 map by these guys
http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/

only 2 downsides - 1 because of the protection its an ECU out job and bench remap. so a wee 3.5 hour drive down to mansfield.
While there the owner came out and asked me how long i had the car and if i had tried to have it mapped before. said no and showed me the top cover of the ECU. some nice bent metal and scratches where it had been opened up before but it didnt look like anything had been touched.
Ben checked it over and it was still all showing stock parameters so their map fired on and a quick test drive to ensure everything was ok.
However pulling onto the motorway and giving a little of the right foot something didnt feel right just as i changed out of 4th. again stopped for fuel at a "rest stop" - motorway services but about 7p a ltr cheaper than the real sercives a couple of miles on - bout 20 miles from home. pulling out of there its a short slip road no more than a couple hundred yards so it is a foot down job. again 4th gear and looked at the revs to see them jump :( looks like the clutch is starting to slip. however on a run today it never seemed to do it. wondering if it might have just been some crud on the face but not holding up my hopes.

Take it easy for a while and the clutch should bed in, it's not had to work this hard before. What power did you go for? What is your MPG like after the remap? Let us have a full review after you've driven it for a bit.

power - same cars on the dyno show between 200 and 205 at the fly and think it was around 180 at the wheels. torque wise should be around 310ftlb

yeah had it out last night and had a little fun while driving. normally id see around 47 on the journey but got 45 and that was with having a little fun.

on the way to mansfield i averaged 46.7 including a good few miles at 50 through roadworks and traffic. on the way back with clearer roads and having a little fun when it was quiet it was showing 48 when i got back to lockerbie. so there is a slight increase, got a few trips to newcastle in the next few weeks so should let me she what im getting on a longer journey.

looking more into the clutch it looks like im actually going to have to listen to HDI on this one. the CR engine really doesnt like the SMF conversions so looking at sticking with a DMF dont really hammer it so should last ok.

Did the clutch start slipping again when you went for another blast? My FRS one used to do it very occasionally when it got really hot, sounds like that's what your is doing.

Now it's remapped and the brakes are sorted what's on the agenda?

Nah it seemed ok even after having blast.

whats next. most likely the DPF removed and map adjusted.
Went a blast last week and lost all power. garage have had a quick look at it and theyre convinced the DPF is blocked but no idea why the lights havent came on to try and regenerate it. theyre going to have a go with a forced regen and clean. if that works then it will be a case of getting the dpf gutted

Have you seen the hybrid turbo options from Darkside developments? There site has given me some ideas already!

yeah been on darkside as we thought it might have been the turbo to begin with. for the difference in prices it made sense to go for a hybrid than OEM for the sake of a couple of hundred

OK time for the update.
forced regen and cleaner helped for all of 10 miles it just blocked up again as it was that bad.
because the ECUs are still locked even after the map i couldnt get the garage to take the guts out and just get the map went up in one of the self tuner devices so it meant getting a trailer hired to get the car back down to shark.
the journey down there was fun to say the least as not even an hour from home and the nice people from VOSA pulled us in for a random check as it was the dad in laws work pickup we were using. quite handy actually as it turned out the pickup was 24v and no one actually knew this. we spend about an hour trying to work out why the lights on the trailer werent working. it was a brand new trailer and everything was checked over before leaving. quick change of the bulbs he was happy to have working to 24v versions and away we went again.

fast forward another week and picked the car back up. well apart from alot of smoke its pulling much better than what it was even before the DPF went on it. also getting a little extra boost, now sits at 1.8 bar rather than the 1.55 it was before so looks like it might have had the problem building for a while.
by the time we got back hame on the sunday night the smoke had all but gone so nothing to worry about there. i was alittle worried even when they had explained it would just be all the soot that was getting through the DPF. actually starting to enjoy having the car again as well

Great news buddy, hope your fun level never drops, great to have an old flame with a phew extra ponies to gallop along.

DPFs have ruined modern diesel no end....yes smoke emissions are reduced but it.another cost to.contend with and the hastle of it all..... and not to mention the Adblue stuff...
I hope in the future you'll be able to gut it and have it mapped out.....

DPFs have ruined modern diesel no end....yes smoke emissions are reduced but it.another cost to.contend with and the hastle of it all..... and not to mention the Adblue stuff...
I hope in the future you'll be able to gut it and have it mapped out.....

thats exactly what has been done to it mate.

most DPFs now dont use an additive such as the adblue they work by actually making the engine run richer to burn the soot off. so although you have less smoke your using more fuel to do it

as for the extra power id say its more up around the 210 mark that it should be with the DPF delete on it. really there wasnt much more gain but better throttle response

Yeah felt good being able to break hard into a bus stop and boot it away to allow an ambulance past last night.

Jarrus yeah it should be around 330ish. will get the laptop onto it at somepoint and see what it comes back with

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back