New clean burning Shell fuel

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Shell's new fuel has clean burn technology inside it. Additives to the fuel help to clean the insides of the engine and make it burn more efficiently.

I thought shell fuel always contained cleaning additives and were always a selling point but it would seem the new fuels can save upto 1 litre per 50 litres used.

Do you think this is just marketing hype? Anyone noticed a difference using fuel with cleaning additives? Don't all fuels contain cleaning additives now anyway?

What are your thoughts on these advanced fuels then? Does it really matter?

I used to use Optimax in the Primera, which gave good results. Certainly kept it clean it read 0.000% on CO tests at 176,000 miles - original cat, lambda and MAF as well.

BMW recommends 98RON for the 528i but says 95 is OK. It's a little bit more hushed on 98 (but it's a refined car anyway so no big deal), performance, well, I've not really pushed enough to find out but subjectively feels torquier low down on the high octane stuff.

I'm quite pleased with 30-32mpg in such a heavy car with an auto box so will probably stick with a mix of V-power and ordinary 95RON depending upon availability.

I never use supermarket fuel.

im a cheapo and always try to use supermarket fuel, but never tescos. ever since i heard of the diesel ruining fuel pumps a few years ago i dnt bother.

No, don't. Use something that's branded. That goes for petrol and diesel.

I only used Tesco diesel once or twice and found it to be rubbish, making the 2.2 HDi feel weary and sluggish.

i always use optimax in the subaru. really dont care about the additional cost as on my mileage 4 weeks a year it makes littel overall difference.

but not sure i believe all the hype - no doubt this new fuel will cost just slightly more than whats currently on offer, another easy way to make a coupe of extra billions pounds a year for the petrol companies (not to mention fill the govt coffers)

i always use optimax in the subaru. really dont care about the additional cost as on my mileage 4 weeks a year it makes littel overall difference.

it only works out around £2.50 a tank in difference

not tried the new 95 as it used to feel sluggish with the old stuff ill stick with v power unless im doing big motorway journey