Need some ideas for a new engine.

Torque

Car
Chevy astro
Im working on a project build from the ground up.
For a while now ive been trying to find a better option for my current engine.

What I have now is a stock vortec 4.3L v6 190hp 250 lb.ft.
I believe the engine weight is around 430 pounds.

I find its a great engine... but, I would like a little more hp and a lot more low end torque if possible without going overboard on mileage.

So far ive narrowed it down to the 4.8L vortec V8.

But im a bit confused... many people are saying go with the 4.8 you get more hp and the mileage isnt much different from the 4.3.

Then other people say that the modern V6's are lighter and faster on the get go and leave V8's in the dust.

So now im not sure whats what.

This vehicle is a 4x4.
I may use it to pull big trucks out of ditches and snowbanks in winter.
I want it to climb steep hills without much effort.
And have some "get up and go" when I punch it.

In a stock engine.

Is the 4.8 a good bet or is there a better option for my use?
Even if the fuel milage is a little worse than the 4.3 thats fine so long as theyre in the same ball park for city/highway use.

Thanks!

I think I would go with the V8 personally. The engines are capable of loads of torque delivery and give plenty of shove without even breaking a sweat.

The V6 is lighter and the power to weight ratio is better but for towing and hill climbing a heavy V8 will give you an advantage.

Have you looked at remapping your v6. Also changing the cam profile or reboring the block will yield more low end torque and may prove cheaper and easier than a full engine swap?

These are all ideas I hadnt thought of, I like them! Ill look into them and see whats more cost effective thanks!

It's great is it not "Torque", you go all this time with a certain idea in you're head then someone opens your mind to marvellous alternatives! This is what this site is all about |B