Mystery car thefts - look out

Worrying indeed but I can't say I'm surprised was bound to happen sooner or later, I've been waiting for it.

I suppose it's just a matter of having a device that can scan the codes that the car uses for the fob.
Bit more technical than that but I feel that's the jist of it.
Getting a bit like gone in 60 seconds where they scan for the code on the garage door.

Is this actually true? I have seen so many ways to open a car on Youtube that are faked (open car with phone, tennis ball, etc) that I am wary of claims like this. Until a working unit is located I reserve judgement.

I suppose it's just a matter of having a device that can scan the codes that the car uses for the fob.
Bit more technical than that but I feel that's the jist of it.
Getting a bit like gone in 60 seconds where they scan for the code on the garage door.

Despite it being a good film, most signals such as required to open car doors via fobs have an encryption on them.

I know that's the thing that baffles me. If it's a true story then they must have a device that can read the encryption.
Which tbh isn't that far fetched.
There are some seriously intelligent criminals out there an IMO it's only a matter of time before they catch up with the manufacturers security on vehicles.

I know that's the thing that baffles me. If it's a true story then they must have a device that can read the encryption.
Which tbh isn't that far fetched.
There are some seriously intelligent criminals out there an IMO it's only a matter of time before they catch up with the manufacturers security on vehicles.

Just like computer hacking, I'd imagine the encryption would use a series of numbers to disguise the code. You you have to do is replicate what the ECU see's surely?

Based on a true story? Really?

this is old technology i used to work with some dodgy people and they where doing this years ago, not 100% sure but it was similar to hacking bluetooth i could probably find out for definite quite easily