My Peugeot 306 1.4 project

Picked the Peugeot 306 meridian 1.4 up last Wednsday for £200 im thinking that could be a bargain. The seller said it needed a new gasket and some body work as Nitro-mors had been thrown on it! Surprisingly enough it driven home fine (50 miles) with just a few rough starts.

The car got checked over and it needed a new coil pack all in all £100 fitted so not bad for a £200 car :D.

The roof and bonnet has been thourely sanded and the bonnet has been treated for the rust with a product called Rust Remedy, does a great job was expecting it to not be brilliant for its price :bigsmile:. Also put a terribly rough spray of primer on the bonnet.

Got some black carbon fibre coming hopefully tomorrow (Friday) which i will be covering the bonnet and roof in the Carbon wrap.

Looking into a new Exhaust system!

Ordered a budget Air Filter should arrive tomorrow or Monday will up upgrade this in a few months.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001CK5XLI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Front and back bumpers have some nasty scrapes and scratches so going to sand them down and attempt to respray them. Have no idea how this will turn out, hoping for the best :lol:.

This week and next:

• Carbon Wrap the bonnet and top
    Air Filter
    New Grill
    Spray Rims Black
    New Wing Mirrors
    Sand front and back bumpers + re spray

Next few months:

• New Exhaust system
    Cheap Alloys

Any other suggestions for mods would be great!

Heres some pics not great as took on my Samsung galaxy will get some more tomorrow;)

car1.jpg

car2.jpg

car3-1.jpg

car5-1.jpg

car1-1.jpg

car2-1.jpg

car4.jpg

car5.jpg

Top be updated tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Peugeot 306 1.4

Halfords for an exhaust? Really?

Don't buy any 'performance parts' from Halfrauds, the staff there no nothing about anything and the qaulity of the materials will be craptastic. Save your pennys, and buy a decent catback exhaust from powerflow, MIJ, anything like that, as they make it to your exact spec.

Turbo'ing your N/A car will literally cost ££££££'s Best thing to do would be look into maybe a 306 gti6 engine swap, or even a xsi lump, then whack some throttle bodies on. You'll easily get a healthy 180bhp out of a decent engine with a remap.

Before you do invest money, I did notice one or 2 light rust spots, was there one on the drivers side front wheel arch? Search for rust.... I had that problem with mine.

Last edited:

As above, to turbocharge a N/A engine involves mucho dinero buddy. Also I see your contemplating NOS as well and you are contemplating an exhaust tip from Halfords? :blink::blink:

Pardon me for saying so but I don't think you have really thought this project through! I wish you luck anyway ;)

Hence the engine conversion bigT! Fitting a gti6 engine or even an xsi one, then getting a remap and throttle bodies, will still be thousands of pounds cheaper, and you'll gain similar BHP.

I thought that, but then thats why matey joined the forum, to get help and insperation! :D

Indeed, the exact same reason I joined just over two years ago now :)
Still learning all the time I am on this forum ;)

Halfords for an exhaust? Really?

Don't buy any 'performance parts' from Halfrauds, the staff there no nothing about anything and the qaulity of the materials will be craptastic. Save your pennys, and buy a decent catback exhaust from powerflow, MIJ, anything like that, as they make it to your exact spec.

Turbo'ing your N/A car will literally cost ££££££'s Best thing to do would be look into maybe a 306 gti6 engine swap, or even a xsi lump, then whack some throttle bodies on. You'll easily get a healthy 180bhp out of a decent engine with a remap.

This. Although Powerflow exhausts are pretty poor tbh. Angel eyes will look chavtastic and when you say 'new mirrors' they'd better not be 'M3 style' otherwise the ban hammer may come out!

All in all, for £200 it's alright! I would have a serious rethink of your plans. Even if you do turbo it, what are you going to do with the brakes?

As i mentioned somewhere else in the forum probably should have noted it here but this is my first project and still learning the basics tbh. I also had no idea Halfords was a crap place to shop for parts will look into a MIJ depending on the price :blink1:, thanks for the suggestion. There is a couple of rust spots around that im working on Dava.

The turbo was something i was considering as a future plan for the car not a set in stone mod. I will look into a engine swap after i sort the cosmetics.

The new 'mirrors' is because one is cracked and the other missing its cover so i thought that might be a good idea to replace them ;). I wasn't exactly aiming for M3 style even thought im not sure what they are LOL.

I did say suggestions would be helpful and thats because i really am still learning as i go on with this project.

Anyway! im sorting the carbon fibre out for now!

Take your time with the prep-work before you attempt to fit the carbon wrap buddy, it will be worth the effort. Also a tip I heard from a chap who does the carbon wrap for a living; the shinier the paintwork the better the adhesion of the wrap.

Thanks for the advice and reply's :D finished the spraying and fitted some white stripes more to come ;).

vipers1.jpg

vipers2.jpg

Not a fan of the stripes, but from what I can see, the spray looks good! :)

Thanks dave to be honest the stripes hide some imperfections in the paint lol it come out alright but some scuffs that the stripes covered nicely.

More pics to come :bigsmile:

I am currently using p*** cans to cover up some imperfections on my car as I had some awful key marks! The prep work is intense, What I did was use metal oxide paper to lightly scrub the paint off and original primer and laquer etc, down the bare metal, then went from 240 grit wet and dry to 1200 wet and dry, took a few hours but completely smooth, then spray on your paint in very thin coats, and leave to dry each time for around half hour in good weather, may need a little longer in the cold then once you have completely sprayed the car, and imperfections are no more, apply acrylic laquer in very thin coats wait to dry and then apply wax and it should come out okay, it did for me. I have a few more pics from todays spraying.

will buy your interior!... I have material in my 306 and I don't like it at all :(
did win some seats on 3bay, for 99p but the guy didnt honor the sale!

Jesus....everyone on TC has a 306 now...lol
Coil pack is a common problem on these (TU 1.4 and 1.6)
Turboing the NA petrol engines isn't as hard as you think... its the ECU that causes the problems, its a bit too "simple" they can be mapped to work but the cost involved becomes greater than using something like Emerald or DTA

Jesus....everyone on TC has a 306 now...lol
Coil pack is a common problem on these (TU 1.4 and 1.6)
Turboing the NA petrol engines isn't as hard as you think... its the ECU that causes the problems, its a bit too "simple" they can be mapped to work but the cost involved becomes greater than using something like Emerald or DTA

Because its an awesome car! ;)

I would go for a 6' lump and eventually supercharge it. Surely that's an easier option? Or even throttle bodies?

Yes, 6 lumps are the easier option....
personally though I would go for the xu10 2.0l 8v turbo from the xantia or 406, can pick the whole car cheap and its a straight fit with the turbo already on it....granted its 150hp which is less than the xu10 16v from the gti6 but it runs a very low boost and designed to be smooth and torqey....just what you.want for a road car...and standard internals are good for 300hp....slap a gt2560r on it and some better injectors and up the boost to 1 bar should see some nice power and driveablitly...

Yes, 6 lumps are the easier option....
personally though I would go for the xu10 2.0l 8v turbo from the xantia or 406, can pick the whole car cheap and its a straight fit with the turbo already on it....granted its 150hp which is less than the xu10 16v from the gti6 but it runs a very low boost and designed to be smooth and torqey....just what you.want for a road car...and standard internals are good for 300hp....slap a gt2560r on it and some better injectors and up the boost to 1 bar should see some nice power and driveablitly...

2.0L 8V petrol or diesel turbo? Sounds like a nice engine though regardless.

Nah mate.....diesel for me :)

i should mention that the 6 engine is xu10 and the xsi is xu10 (8v and 16v) but the 8v turbo is basically the 8v 306 xsi engine with a turbo....