My New VR6 Corrado :)

Ok so as you know i got rid of the 16v Corrado, got sick of it looking tatty and me not having the cash to throw at it (and not particularly wanting to!)

so a few deals were done and i ended up with this beauty:

3aaf4ec8.jpg

671b427c.jpg

She's a 1994 on an L reg. 2.9 VR6 :)

Full black heated leathers.

Gorgeous condition throughout.

Relatively standard;

lowered 40mm on koni shocks and springs
6 branch stainless steel exhaust manifold
ported inlet manifold
JR induction kit
1.3 mm 6 core HT leads (HUGE!)

im going to be going OEM+ style with this one, its such a nice car, and lets be honest, Corrados didnt half look good from the factory!

So here's all iv done so far:

Swapped the JR induction kit for a K&N one
added a bonrath power rohr stainless intake pipe

f0123e17.jpg

and i also tinted the upper sections of the rear lights to match the bottoms:

2b697b61.jpg

These will need another couple of coats to be a perfect match, but before i do that they will need superbright LED bulbs for the indicators and reverse light.

Plans:

I am currently looking into chucking some polished Merc rims on her, until i can find some tasty BBS RX2's.

Lupo or TT wipers will be added soon, so that they actually clear the windscreen (standard wipers are poo!)

De wiper the rear

stubby aerial

Strut braces all round

Polybushes all round

Solid engine mounts

coilovers (only going down to around 60/70mm compared to the 105mm drop i ran on the last one)

possibly have the wing mirror edge trims and front grille colour coded

SUPERCHARGER conversion :bigsmile: wont be until around this time next year, but will definately be getting charged, easiest and most cost effective way way to 400bhp :)

so there you have her! opinions/comments/ideas etc welcomed

Dean

Another fantastic project from PikeyMS! I can't wait to see this one evolving.:D

You seem to have a knack for picking up great cars and turning a profit on them:)

Nice classic there mate. My mate has a G60 with some stupid size supercharger on it. Good cars if looked after.

cheers guys :)

This one im happy to say wont be much of a project, at least not visually. its pretty much where i want it to be looks wise, just some coils and some 16's as 15's just look a tad too small for my liking.

The engine is where the money will go, but that is a pretty limited budget until after the honeymoon in Jan, then i can really get cracking with it!

And waynne, im happy to say this one wont be making any profit, not for a long long time. Makes me smile every time i look at it, and every time i drive it, and when i mash the loud pedal into the carpet, im like a giggling school girl!

:)

lol luckily for me my woman knows she'll never stop me doing what i want to my cars!

sticking with the 2.9, but gonna be going down this route....

Storm Developments 12v VR6 Stage 1 Kit - approx 310bhp (2.9) @ 10psi
Kit consists of
- Rotrex C-Type Supercharger plus manual
- 10 psi Rotrex pulley
- Standalone Rotrex oil kit [1]
- Precision bracket and bearings set [2]
- Supercharger belt
- Silicon hoses and aluminium joiners
- DubPower stainless steel 6 branch manifold [3]
- Water injection kit w/ dashboard LED indicators
- 6 x reconditioned high capacity fuel injectors [4]
- Heavy duty forced induction silicon HT leads
- 6 x uprated spark plugs
- 70 degree coolant thermostat
- Mapping session on SD rolling road
- Supply only price: £3275+vat

should keep me smiling for a while, then once i get a peloquin diff fitted ill take her to stage 2 (400bhp)

:)

Wider tyres would be good as well :)
which s/c is it? as there are tonnes of c series superchargers on sale all different models

plus on these it's always best to go for the smallest pulley that it will support (from the manufacture) and just use a restriction in the intake so you get the low down torque of the small pulley and then the boost is restricted until you build your engine to take the full boost, therefore saving you money and making for a better drive, i know the pulleys from rotrex are very expensive, I have seen this done before
just my thoughts chap and very nice car by the way, just out of interest what kind of things should anyone look out for when looking to buy a corrado or any description?

thanks for the input, theres still a lot more research to be done before i make any kind of decision on which s/c to run, and where the power will be added. VR6 have bags of torque, so really want something to compliment that rather than change the characteristics completely.

specific things to look out for on a corrado in general are:

sunroof and spoiler working correctly
ABS system working correctly

rust on:
rear plinth seams
under corraddo badge
around rear screen
above number plate light and under spoiler
windscreen
lower front wings
under bumpers
boot floors

everything else is same as you would expect from any car thats 15-20 years old really

ok so a bit of a crap update really.... have been ironing out the previous owners mistakes since day one, and can now say she's running 100% properly for the very first time!
heres what iv been doing to her...

new MAF
new HT leads
new induction kit relocated further down into the wing
6 Branch now fully heat wrapped
master cylinder now heat shielded (sick of losing brakes and clutch after a good run!)
Gearbox mount had new bolts as old ones were missing!
new steering column
new snap off steering wheel
new blaupunkt headunit and pioneer speakers

and have a solid front engine mount to fit this week, along with a full service, then she's going on the rolling road on 7th august to see how healthy she is....

have decided against supercharging it... will be going down the T3/4 hybrid route instead. stealth's stage one kit makes 360bhp which will be more than enough to keep me smiling for timebeing. its a good ol chunk of money, but @ £5k all in fitted for the turbo conversion and a few extras i want, i dont think its bad value. will also be spending more cash on the box, gonna have it fully rebuilt and chuck some g60 ratios in there and g60 final drive, should sharpen up the acceleration a treat!

as we all know a thread is useless without pics.... so heres one

5ea36867.jpg

nice, i'd still go for the supercharger though, much smoother power delivery, but hey it's your money and if you're happy with that then go for it :)

also a great way of destroying driveshafts, lol

this said, my cars power delivery isn't smooth at all, lag, lag, lag....then a MASSIVE slug of torque, then it's time to change gear...lol it is entertaining, but it depends, the centrifual design is good because you get this gradual build up of torque so more of the power and torque gets used make the car go faster rather than destroying tyres, and the positive displacement give you that awesome throttle response and it make your engine seem like it's a bigger cc rather than it being FI, but turbos are the most efficient way of making more power, but you have to use more control systems to make use of them,

so what I'm basically trying to say is "horses for courses"
use what every suits you best, and of course if you do have turbo car and feel rather flush then ALS is the way to go ;)

most chargers suitable for this application make next to sod all difference before 3k rpm, then gain boost throughout the rev range,not hitting peak power until 5/6krpm.

the specific kit i am going for boosts at 3krpm, and hits peak torque at 3.7k rpm AND SUSTAINS IT all the way to the 7.2krpm redline. now that sounds like its going to destroy every component part possible, but it wont.... the kit was in production and testing for well over a year and many many variations before the guys had a set up they were happy ticked all their boxes. it has now been sold to 100's of VR6 owners over last 18months with a 99.9% success rate of doing everything the boys claim and not destorying the rest of your drivetrain.

in my case, pretty much every drivetrain part will be rebuilt or replaced, but seeing as a standard vr box is good for 400bhp+ i shouldnt have many issues. a helix paddle clutch will also be fitted, which are good for insane amounts of power.

my job over the next 6 months is to find myself a 2.8 vr6 bottom end to rebuild (2.9 tend to have problems with cly 6 due to thin walls) and polybush the entire car, fit new cv joints, GAZ fully adjustable coilovers, some 8/9J wheels and get the box rebuilt... then its off to stealth for a 2 week holiday :)

sounds good then, but like i said in a previous post, it all depends on how you do it, buy a larger charger then but the smallest pulley on it then put a air flow restriction in the intake pipe work so you get the low downs without having all the highs that your engine won't cope with (unless it's had forged everything) or you could use a screw type or a roots type (screw is better) but like i said before it's up to you at the end of the day

VR6 engines are proven to take 400bhp RELIABLY on nothing more than arp bolts and a head spacer plate. only really need to worry when going over that kind of figure.

stealths kit was way overdeveloped, and is tried and tested, so thats good enough for me :)

roots s/c are great, but i think given the way the VR responds to low comp, theres really no need... was out in a homebrew 3.0 VR6 turbo this morning, and its so smooth until the turbo hits boost, then its just an animal! that was only 270bhp too, with the added weight of a 4x4 system. so 350/360 in my corrado which is about 300kgs lighter........ :):):)

are you fitting a slippy diff on your chap? I should hope so as it will have well over 300 lbft torque as well as all the extra horses

I'd get a quafie or an tranx diff in place of that else you'll get plenty of understeer and torque steer especially if you are going to jam a load more torque to the front wheels

Torque steer is where the funs at! lol mate is running 285bhp and 266lb/ft in a mk1 golf on standard vw 16v box, man that thing is fun to keep in a straight line at full chat!

when i do get a slipper in there, peloquin is about the only diff id trust in the vr tbh. everyone i know uses peloquins in their vw's with good results, dogs danglies comes to mind :)

What power do you think she is running at the moment then? It'll be interesting to see how close you get.

Yesterday was supposed to be a straight forward easy day,. just a simple service and few bits an bobs....... YEAH RIGHT!

general - found few dodgy vac hose connections, would explain the occasional loss of power iv been getting,all nice and tight now so hopefully no more dramas with that!

rear engine mount - was a PITA to get to the bolts, but got there in the end with lots swearing and scraped fingers.

Solid front engine mount - major PITA to get the old mount out, as all the bolts were rusted and seized on luckily the new mount needed none of these so i just snapped em all and pulled em out

Plugs and leads - plugs nice and simple.... except noticed oil on plug from cyl 2, so thats my worn piston ring me thinks
leads, brand new lead pulled apart with the gentlest of tugs to see if was secure on plug removed end from so called "high performance" lead, recrimped cable, fitted new end,
and all was well again. also snapped off one of the coil plug sockets, ya know what i mean, so fitted my spare unknown coil, works perfectly

Gearbox - try and fix weight on shift cable, all a bit shagged, needs a spacer of some sort to hold it all together nicely, job for another day! notice oil all over bottom of box.... explains whiney gears! check
top up bung and is barely in at all , make quality oil funnel from some old bits of samco hose and energy drink bottle that was lying around, refill oil and tighten bung. Done

Oil and filter change - oh my oh my, chucked some engine flush in, ran engine for 20mins, emptied oil via sump, good so far BUT......filter housing had been completely and utterly f******d by
previous monkeys who worked on it, bit complicated to explain ( lets just say every single thing this garage did was wrong or bodged), just about got it off in the end, new
filter and o ring in, screw back on and tighten as far as it will physically tighten..... refill engine with oil, run it up to temp a bit, check levels, VERY low..... look under car,
massive puddle of oil coming from filter housing. try tightening more, wont have it, allen bolt rounds out. work my way through with every spline i have, allen bolt is
apparently made of plasticine!

Abandon mission, lob car in the garage and get craig to give me a lift home! on route, make a phone call to mate adam, who says yes dean i have a filter housing here mate.

So, today i go pick up housing, and replace the knackered leaky one on my car with a nice leak free one :) topped up oil, and spent 10mins tinkering with vac hoses, breathers etc while i let the oil warm slightly. checked levels, all good so off for test drive....

well, no more blue smoke for now, and felt strong and very eager in every gear. Mission accomplished ( for now!)

i may or may not get time to finish porting my spare throttle body for saturdays session on the rollers, so the mods list is basic..

6 branch stainless manifold
decat
ported inlet manifold
k&n induction kit relocated behind headlight

I reckon with the possibility of a slightly iffy ring ( oo err! ) ill prob be lucky to make the standard 190. but its not really about the figures for me, the main priority was to make sure the engine was strong in preparation for the turbo conversion.i wanted good afr and good torque curve etc, but, Now i know ring 2 has been leaking she'll be getting a rebuild anyway, so its more about having a good day with my mates than anything else now!

results are in.......

185.1 BHP and 197.5 lb/ft torque.

im actually very happy with that, considering cylinder two is burning oil an all.

il get the graph up later, but she has a nice solid torque delivery which is almost peak all through the rev range, and power delivery is nice and smooth. Fuelling was spot on too.

i reckon with a rebuild she would be about 200bhp, but so long as the ring dont get any worse, im gonna wait til im ready for the turbo conversion.

nice turn out, 1120kg, that's less than my car!?!?!

but I have to say though, i do prefer the original wheels but they look ok I wouldn't be upset if had those

sorry my bad, 1120kgs is my mates which has been stripped, standard vr6 is 1240ish iirc.

the new wheels give it an updated oem look i think, i didnt want anything too fancy, just something subtle but 16". They will look much better once the car is lower and they have been spaced at rear and sprayed anthracite ;)

ok so theres gonna be a bit of an update on this after the weekend me thinks....

got fed up of the arch gap and things not being quite how i wanted em, so i ordered a few parts...

Coilovers :)
red light tint spray and lacquer to do the rear lights properly
led bulbs and resistors to make the lights legal(ish)
pressed number plates
sticker
air freshener
strut brace
smoked side repeaters

I am HOPING that lot all arrives by Friday, so as i can get it all fitted fri afternoon, then the car is off to the paint shop fri eve to have the front d/s wing sprayed again (some knob keyed it), collect it sat afternoon, then major cleaning session ready for Beachbuggin vw show on sunday!

gonna be a close call as to whether or not it gets finished in time!