My New VR6 Corrado :)

Ok so as you know i got rid of the 16v Corrado, got sick of it looking tatty and me not having the cash to throw at it (and not particularly wanting to!)

so a few deals were done and i ended up with this beauty:

3aaf4ec8.jpg

671b427c.jpg

She's a 1994 on an L reg. 2.9 VR6 :)

Full black heated leathers.

Gorgeous condition throughout.

Relatively standard;

lowered 40mm on koni shocks and springs
6 branch stainless steel exhaust manifold
ported inlet manifold
JR induction kit
1.3 mm 6 core HT leads (HUGE!)

im going to be going OEM+ style with this one, its such a nice car, and lets be honest, Corrados didnt half look good from the factory!

So here's all iv done so far:

Swapped the JR induction kit for a K&N one
added a bonrath power rohr stainless intake pipe

f0123e17.jpg

and i also tinted the upper sections of the rear lights to match the bottoms:

2b697b61.jpg

These will need another couple of coats to be a perfect match, but before i do that they will need superbright LED bulbs for the indicators and reverse light.

Plans:

I am currently looking into chucking some polished Merc rims on her, until i can find some tasty BBS RX2's.

Lupo or TT wipers will be added soon, so that they actually clear the windscreen (standard wipers are poo!)

De wiper the rear

stubby aerial

Strut braces all round

Polybushes all round

Solid engine mounts

coilovers (only going down to around 60/70mm compared to the 105mm drop i ran on the last one)

possibly have the wing mirror edge trims and front grille colour coded

SUPERCHARGER conversion :bigsmile: wont be until around this time next year, but will definately be getting charged, easiest and most cost effective way way to 400bhp :)

so there you have her! opinions/comments/ideas etc welcomed

Dean

Just Hottuning ones for now.:(

i know how hard they ride as they came on my last rado, and i vowed never to have em again! :) But i just couldnt bare the arch gap any longer, and seeing as Mrs is on maternity atm, so paying double bills, somehow buying £1000 kw V2's might not have gone down so well....

cheap an cheerful for now, cant wait til she goes back to work and i can start doing things properly!

Got ahead on the cleanin side of things, went out and clayed whole car at 8pm tonight ;) my neighbours think im mad, but will save me a few hours in the morning, will be out there at 7am to get her washed again, polished, sealed an then waxed twice, should just need a quick rinse sunday morning before the show then :)

got plates to go on tomo, strut brace, engine cover to paint, rear lights to paint, and few stickers... should get all that done by 12/1, so plenty time to fit coilies....but they aint arrived as yet, so fingers crossed they land tomo or my timescale is screwed!!!!!

Last edited:
well...... i just about managed to get her all done in time for the show:

bb5.jpg

radobb2.jpg

radobb.jpg

bb4.jpg

notice the camber on the front wheels, but not the backs.... this is to be sorted ASAP! lol

Have also decided to start my shopping for the turbo conversion by purchasing my first two bits, a charge cooler set up (dont want ANY external signs of engine mods, so intercooler is out) and an oil cooler setup. decided i AM going to go DIY on this one, figured iv come a bloody long way in 2 years with my knowledge/skills with cars and engines, conversions, tuning etc, so may as well take the hard way and learn about turbo conversions as i go.
have a couple mates who have done similar conversions in past, and who can help me with the custom fab side of things, ie short runner intakes, engine mounts, shell bracing etc.
Will be scouring for parts over next 8 months or so, she'll come off road in jan when tax runs out, and be stripped and rebuilt with new everything. power wise, im going to aim for 3-400bhp, not really sure theres any need for more than that in a 1200kg car.... with the right setup, that should be enough to put ferraris in their place ;)

300bhp in a 1200kg car won't be putting many Ferrari's in their place ;) Good choice to go DIY though, lots to learn and save a fortune on labour.

400 hp will be better, if you can lay all the power to the ground with a good setup then you will do, :)

nice so far, keep the posts coming, you are actually giving me some inspiration into what i want to do with my car....

300bhp is a VERY conservative number, GT35 is capable of 350bhp on just 6psi boost, then will be upping boost in 2psi increments until im happy. once the engine is run in, and standalone management fitted and mapped accordingly, 400 is where im aiming for.
that should keep up with a fair few supercars.
in the long run it will be going a wee bit more mental, but dont want to get ahead of myself just yet though, lets get stage one sorted first eh!

Very nice work there Pikey! It sounds like a great project, I don't know how you get away with the misses not spotting all this spending? Is that why you don't want "noticable engine mods from the outside" ;)

How is it going with the little one then? Sleepness nights etc...?

my little girl is an angel mate. she has slept pretty much 7-7 since the day we brought her home :)

the mrs is getting lairier about my spending, so i am having to take it slightly easy, but so long as its profit im spending she doesnt mind so much, and i still have a garage and a shed full of parts to sell, so im ok for another 1500 ish yet! lol

Cheers RB, always loved these since my uncle bought a G60 back in the day when they were new, the G was always the one i wanted too, but then this one came along, and i just couldnt say no.

the power delivery is so different between the two, it really is a matter of personal taste and what you want.

for me standard power on either was never going to be enough, so the VR is a much better base to tune from. the g60 is pretty much at its limit at 240bhp, and thats a serious amount of money for that too, same amount of money into a vr is 300bhp+.

Yeah I can imagin, and yes they would require a tweak up,

I would replace the supercharger with a rotrex unit is the standard one it rather s*** really
having to have it rebuilt every 40k miles or so,

well just a tiny update, she passed her MOT yesterday with the only advisory being a slight blow on the exhaust, and that was only due to my bodging a system together to get the CAT back on for the test! wouldnt have been blowing however i didnt expect the roads to the test centre to be quite so rough, so ended up smashing the cat into the road many many times.... price you pay for running low i suppose!

Indeed, I personally wouldn't go mega low on uk roads, i think the extra suspension travel is needed,

Plus apparantly I live in the most speed humped place in the uk so mega drops are a big no no

I ran -105 mm on the last Rado, but i caught the wishbones on road camber..... lol

this one runs about -90mm, once the decat is back on the only thing that will catch will be front splitter on normal roads, speedbumps become a challenge, but they are doable.
Surprisingly, the ride isnt as hard as you would expect with cheap coilies, and doesnt bottom out at all.

NO WAY! lol these are good enough as a temporary thing, but when she comes off road in january for the rebuild and conversion they will be getting replaced with some KW Variant 2's, very highly respected as one of the best sets of coilies you can buy in the VW world.

no point me having all the power if she doesnt handle/stop well too!

Nice HP considering the age of the motor is the Engine new or same age? because looks like you looked after it well :) lol nice power mate whats its 0 - 60 like?

Apart from KW Variant 3's lol.

for a road car? V3s are major overkill on a road car tbh.

Nice HP considering the age of the motor is the Engine new or same age? because looks like you looked after it well :) lol nice power mate whats its 0 - 60 like?

The engine was rebuilt in 2002 i think, so not quite as old as the car itself.
Havent actually timed 0-60 accurately yet, but its sub 7secs. not to bad for an old lady ;)

V2's are awesome. friend of mine runs em on a mk2 golf 16v, its very low, set to about 3/4 hard all round, and is still a pretty damn comfortable ride. handles like no other mk2 set up iv ever driven/been in, an theres been a few!

Definately what i want when it comes to choosing proper coilies for mine :)

I had V1's on the W8 for about a year, and the ride was intolerable. Very harsh and very bouncy over rough terrain. On anything other than a smooth road, they made the handling worse as you where bouncing around all over the shop.

V2's may have been better, but they where notably more expensive..

In the end I just bought new stock shocks/springs which where still a great improvement due to the originals having done ~ 80'000 miles.

wouldnt have thought that! cheers for the heads up, i have never driven on V1's so couldnt comment, but i do know V2's are generally about £350+ more, and obviously have the added ability to set damper rates, which is where the improvements are made i reckon. i always say when it comes to suspension and brakes, you get what you pay for! (not that V1's are particularly cheap!)

Yeah, that why I was skeptical about buying KW's as they are really designed for the track,but i suppose if you can adjust the dampers so they are only slightly stiffer than before(standard dampers) then that's something I would be interested it, so will the height adjustment,

I just don't want to spend over £1500 on something that I'm going to hate,

ok sooooooo..........

i got my usual itch, tried to ignore it, couldnt....

found a mk2 golf i missed out on by a day back in march.....

cropped.jpg

Picking it up sunday!

i know im terrible at keeping hold of a car, but to get the rado to where i want it to be im looking at 5k, which although not really a problem as such, the money can be used for other things ( kids etc ). this mk2 is show condition, and once i change the interior, wheels and tidy the engine bay, i think ill be pretty damn happy with it!

new thread to come soon!