My Little Polo 1.4 Thread

I am always in the garage tinkering with my bikes and all sorts. Now i have a car =D.Time to work on that. I have quite a good taste in modding. Im not going to start do what every " boy racer " does. It will look nice and have decent looks. This is what i have done so far. Keep Posted =]. Will post pics up soon

Last edited:
car1.jpg

I got a set of boss alloys for £60 - dont you just love ebay - a little curbed but nothin major
car2.jpg

car3.jpg

I then debagged the back slightly - mainly as the 1.4L badge was turning grey
car4.jpg

Last edited:
Yess lowering is difinately what needs to be done.
So far i have ordered a front debadged grill - clear front indicator lenses - silver coated indicator bulbs - window tints - anti theft wheel lock nuts - and these all turnt up today so i will put them on now and post some pics.
After that
- fit a remote central locking system
-lower it
-Fit the cold air induction when it turns up =/
- fit twin exhuasts to the back, they wont be loud
- paint the interoir
- fit a sound system - cd player with the 7 inch flip screen - already got the rear boot shelf cut out to fit 2 6x9's - already have the wiring sorted =]
- Not sure about body work i.e body kits and that for now and i am bound to have a few nocks and bumps.
- tint the rear lights
- fit neons or leds to car interior
- change the dash board lights from green to blue
- paint the front disk brakes and rear drums
lol i cant remember what else

good point - eveyryone has differnt tastes - personally the alloys go alright for now - they will suit alot better once the car has been lowered.

Fitted the lights and grill with the chrome lensed indicators. Just need to sort out the headlights now. Sorry about the bad pic i only remembered to take a picture after i put the car back in the garage
P061009_1818.jpg

If your putting a sub in the boot then i'd not bother with any 6x9's.
You'll get a much better quality of sound if you go for front and rear component speakers as opposed to front components and rear 6x9 setup.

Got the tints in yesterday - spent a good 2 hours doing the two side windows. I really could of done with a heat gun. May have to buy one before i do the rest of the windows. Car is looking good so far - " Needs To Get Lowered ".
P081009_1732.jpg

P081009_1820.jpg

P081009_1834.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
True about the sound system. I will have to go with the 6x9's for now as the owner before me had installed a kenwood system so the rear shelf has the holes for them already cut out.

looks nice mate. i got a polo same as urs just blue . but urs is so much higher . i havnt lowered mine and its lower than urs. but cool . like the 5 spokes and the airfilter . the filter will give it a grunt . i just went for a back box. every one to their own

no the cone filter will not "give it grunt" .

MasterAuron was quite correct when he said that it is probably losing the car power, a performance panel filter in the original airbox is the best type of air filter, and will actually gain you a few bhp if your lucky.

if you really want the induction noise, drill some holes in the bottom of the airbox, below the filter and away from the engine, ie, wing and front side only.

starting to look good, def needs slamming though. removing badges and trims etc (smoothing) is IMO the best way of modifying VW's. smooth and simple FTW!
:)

the cone filter gave my car a grunt . its a polo mk4 (6n) 1.4 cl and its auto. and i still had the airbox on the car just no filter inside it. o well its off the car now.. but listen to pgarner he knows alot more than i do (not being sarcastic) im only 18 im still a youngin lol.

whats itattached to . is that the pipe that is attached to the airbox. theres like a sillicone black tube attached to the bottom of the air box. is that what u atach the little one 2?

Yh that pipe that attaches to the bottom of the airbox is the oil breather pipe. I got a nice little K&N style filter off ebay for less than £5.
The Big k&N will be moved to the corner of the engine once my cold feed ducting arrives

id have to agree with MA on this one, statements like "im not gonna do what every boy racer does" and "i have good taste in modding".

Then fits 5 spokes, induction kit, and talks of blue neons.... and just for the record, Breather filters are a) illegal and b) of no benefit whatsoever.

and induction kits ARE a waste of time. The only power increase your gonna see from that is in your head.

sorry for being blunt, but everyone has different opinions, and this is mine.
But, we've all been there to some degree. :)

and induction kits ARE a waste of time. The only power increase your gonna see from that is in your head.

Glad you agree but that's just not true is it! On this car, yes apart from the noise (if that's your cup of tea) an induction kit is pretty pointless but there's loads of cars with restrictive air boxes and filters. Try sucking 350bhp through the standard airbox and filter on your Golf when it's done :D

i was talking generally, ie, the guys an gals that think an induction kit adds 10bhp to their polo/corsa/saxo etc.

For a massively tuned lump, induction kits have their place, but id still fully enclose them in a custom airbox...

For a massively tuned lump, induction kits have their place, but id still fully enclose them in a custom airbox...

Still disagree with regards to a turbocharged vehicle. A few degrees difference at the intake won't mean jack when the air is heated massively in compression then cooled down again by the intercooler before it reaches the throttle body.

Honestly I didn't install the air filter to get power gains.
Im 17, have a garage to myself and a lot of time to experiment with things and see how they go. Yes it would be wise to take word from someone who knows what they are talking about but isnt that what all teens want to do to there car.