Motorcycle engine in a car?

fezzafii

Torque Junkie
Car
Fiesta MK5 1.25
Was just thinking last night that I have a 1242cc car with 75 Bhp as standard, however a Yamaha R1 (998cc) has a BHP of over 170+?

Is this just down to BHP per Tonne or would it be possible to convert such an engine to work in a car? Sequential gearbox would be cool too.

Any ideas?

I've seen such engines in cars. Caterhams, Lotus 7's and Westfields plus one or 2 mini and Smarts.

Motorbike engines have all the power at the top end of the rev range. You have to scream away at 5000 rpm in order to have enough torque to get a car moving.

A simple bike gearbox and chain to driveshaft to diff would probably be the easy solution.

It sounds great, having a high RPM engine but to be honest I don't think you can live with it. Compare the Torque curves of the 2 engines and you will see what I mean;)

So what is different about these engines? I have been told with my 1.2 that it will be impossible to tune it to over ~110 bhp, however these 1.0 engines, without NOS or Turbo's or anything hit the 150bhp mark easily? is it purely the the daft amount of revs they can get to? Would some clever gearing get around this?

Sorry i'm just really interested in the difference.

Cheers,

Adam

pretty much as torque and horsepower are related at high revs there is less torque but alot more power

so having something like a 16k red line helps alot

theres also the act a bike weighs nothing compared to a car so is under less strain so can be better tuned

theres also the act a bike weighs nothing compared to a car so is under less strain so can be better tuned

i agree, bikes usually have the highest power to weight ratio..

if we put the engine of the 1242cc car with 75 Bhp , into the bike..
will it reach also or exceed the Power of the Yamaha R1 (170bhp) ?

i agree, bikes usually have the highest power to weight ratio..

if we put the engine of the 1242cc car with 75 Bhp , into the bike..
will it reach also or exceed the Power of the Yamaha R1 (170bhp) ?

Not a chance because it is alot heavier than a bike engine. You'd have better BHP per Tonne than when that engine is in a car but thats all.

Seen a few Yamaha bike engines in Smart Cars.... pretty fast but you do have to rag the nuts off it to get to the usable power.

Just done a bit more research into the engine in my car.

Believe it or not - Yamaha produced the engine lol. Where my silly revs?!

Reversing could be interesting ;)

I was going to build a bike engined single seater many years ago, but the club I raced for stopped me and changed the rules pdq. The chief scrutineer was also racing in the same class!

Believe it or not - Yamaha produced the engine lol. Where my silly revs?!

I think they put this one in the Fiesta:

KX49.jpg

Some people are soo lazy. Just for MA I've added an auto resize to the images ;)

See we do listen to suggestions.:D