Most powerful production 2.0 engine

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What is the most powerful production 2.0 engine? It can be any configuration.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and musings, the aim of this thread is to discover the best/strongest engine with the most potential for tuning.

Your question won't necessarily find the best engine for tuning. The engine, in production tune, that produces the most power maybe near its max potential. On the other hand, a lower powered engine may have plenty of tuning potential.

For example, the original power output of the Ford Cosworth YB was around 300bhp. However, Ford considered this too much for the average driver so the engine was detuned to 205bhp. Therefore this engine can be brought back to its original power by simply changing the injectors and a little map tuning.

205 - 300 = 46% increase for the cost of injectors and a remap.

These engines have been modified to over 1000bhp, an increase of 500%. However, you will need VERY deep pockets.

I think the most powerful 4 cylinder car on the showroom floor is the CLA 45 AMG

Steve what about the 4 cyl BMW in F1 that had something like 1500HP in qualifying tune:eek:

Agreed, the F1 engines were silly HP but they were not road production engines, which I am guessing Waynne is asking about :)

Agreed, the F1 engines were silly HP but they were not road production engines, which I am guessing Waynne is asking about :)
Yes it would need to be production so it rules out all those motorsport engines and the extremely highly tuned engines out there.

Agreed buT I threw the BMW in as I seem to recall that it was based on a strengthened production motor

Last edited:
Whether only using the block qualifies as modifying an engine is open to debate. You could argue that they built a new engine and just used an existing block as it was available. However you could say the same about the 1000bhp YBs. The heads are used but everything else, including the block, is changed. But they are still recognisable as a YB.

Steve
That is not so my new engine uses the original Block & head. Valves are still Standard size as well. The Smith & Jones blocks are used with there own heads & the ports are way too big for road going Turbo applications. We know 940 will be seen but will need to up boost to near 4 bar to see the 1000bhp. It will be attempted though.

I should have said 'except MADRod' :) I think, however, that you are an exception. AFAIAA the big bhp boys are moving over to aluminium blocks which have the inherent YB weak points designed out. But then, again, I could be wrong :)

By todays standards the most powerful 4 cyl engine available to buy is indeed the AMG45 Merc engine.
But im sure the most powerful one to date is the Lancer Evo FQ440.

I know we are all car mad petrolheads on here which makes it even worse when you think that over 200hp is available from 1000cc normally aspirated bike engines.

By todays standards the most powerful 4 cyl engine available to buy is indeed the AMG45 Merc engine.
But im sure the most powerful one to date is the Lancer Evo FQ440.

I know we are all car mad petrolheads on here which makes it even worse when you think that over 200hp is available from 1000cc normally aspirated bike engines.
But you have to rev them to infinity to get at that power and they are torque shy low down. On a bike it doesn't matter but when you have some weight to move low down Torque really matters.

Still the most powerful 4cyl production engine tho. Torque wise you cant beat a derv car. Mine in stoke form pulls 400nm at 2400rpm but its a bit more than that tuned.

For example, the original power output of the Ford Cosworth YB was around 300bhp. However, Ford considered this too much for the average driver so the engine was detuned to 205bhp. Therefore this engine can be brought back to its original power by simply changing the injectors and a little map tuning.
s.

Funny isnt it. These days you can get 300bhp golfs and leons. Yes they have more safety features but 300bhp is still a lot.

the topic will never be sorted unless someone nails down the exact criteria

if you are sticking to factory cars with no mods it probably is the FQ440 but that is only because they have decided to tune it more than other manufacturers.

And thats of course at the moment because suburu , honda and nissan could easily acheive or beat 220+bhp per litre in a special edition if they wanted to

For example the highest tuned 34GTR out the factory (so same criteria) was close to 200bhp per litre with a lot bigger motor (so theortically more difficult) and that was 15 years ago .

Its really not a question of can more a question of how crazy do they want to go.