Most cylinders in a production engine

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Which production engine has the most cylinders?

I did read about a huge inline 14 cylinder engine but can't find anything on it at the moment. That is hardly counted as production though.

When it comes to car engines is 12 the limit?

Waynne, you're thinking of the Wärtsilä-Sulzer marine two stroke engine. 14 cylinders. 102,000bhp at 102rpm (yes, 102 revolutions per minute). Over 5.5 million lbft torque.

There are more cylinder to be found here:

I mentioned the Napier Deltic some years ago. 18 cylinders and 36 pistons in delta formation (3 crankshafts geared together). Again, two stroke but somewhat smaller than the Sulzer, these were popular marine and rail propulsion units. British Rail's Class 55 diesel-electric locomotive used a pair of these, one each end of the power unit driving a common DC generator in between the two engines.

There are some fascinating engines around aren't there. There was one installed in a tank which comprised about 5 engines driving a central flywheel, I bet that offered some serious Torque.

It was the Wärtsilä-Sulzer which isn't really a production engine now i've read the specs on it, it certainly wouldn't fit in a car. What a behemoth though.