Misted windows

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It is that time of year again when the insides of your car windows start to mist up.

Don't be tempted to drive with only a letter box to look through - it is very dangerous yet I still see so many people in our area doing this! :evil:

I also have friends that clear their windscreens with their hands! Talk about creating a smeary mess! I find a microfibre cloth or chamois pad does the job just fine.

I must be lucky Ive never had this in the BM or my old Lex, but had the screen mist up on all my other cars, but I do start my car up at least 5-10 minutes before I go anywhere all year round, I did have it happen once in the Lex, then realised that one of the kids had pressed the internal air recirclation button on the heater controls, turned that off and all the windows cleared in about 3 minutes.

Going to say - climate control in both my cars. Never had a misting up problem, not even when its raining - getting in with wet clothes.

I admire the job it does... it broke once (pressure sensor failed) and the car misted really badly.

Mine doesn't work when it gets below 5 degrees. :(

None should as the system will freeze itself - but as long as all the flap motors are working correctly and the system isn't crudded up you shouldn't have a problem as below 5c the air coming out is going to be warm enough to do its stuff anyway.

My girlfriend had a Bora V5 and below 5c misting was horrific once the compressor kicked out. Eventually traced to a faulty flap motor in the dash.

:Edit: The system was basically jammed on recirculate which was fine all the time the compressor ran drying it out, but once it kicked out the damp air just went round and round and round.

:Edit Again: Your Bora is fitted with the same Hella climate system as in most of the VAG cars of that era. Might be worth running a system test from the front panel which will cycle every motor etc and check its functionality is within spec if your having issues below 5c.

Last edited:
dont know if waynne has the climate.

nah mines works fine it was a case of someone messing with the controls and put it on econ rather than auto. only time i touch it is to clear the windows in the morning 1st thing - light frost etc, then its back to auto

is one of the reasons i can drive the trans am in the morning as i dont have air con on it cos its been taken off so never clears till i am at work

but the jeep never has misted windows due to the holes in the floor and well nothing sitting right door wise knew there was a reason i took all the drain hole covers off not only can i jet wash the inside and it drains it does not mist up

My leaky little tin can is surprisingly not that bad & mists up on very cold days (& I use a microfibre cloth too), although I do keep a small rechargeable dehumidifier in the car to counteract the condensation attracting bare metal roof & body work in the car. :amuse:

Yup - I do have climate, and will never go back to conventional air conditioning. Would be nice though to have one setting for the wife and one for me split down the middle of the car! (I think a few cars have this option now!)

My windscreen clears using a "windscreen boost" function and only takes a few seconds, it is very impressive. Sadly when the temp drops I have to walk to work or wait for the car to warm up.:(

My MG is poor during the winter months, takes an age to clear, I always leave it running until it clears before driving off. The Disco should be much improved due to having climate control and windscreen booster. My old Picasso was excellent for clearing the screen, so fast.

Yup - I do have climate, and will never go back to conventional air conditioning. Would be nice though to have one setting for the wife and one for me split down the middle of the car! (I think a few cars have this option now!)

Yeah - R36 does this, but I can't help but wonder how much air mixing goes on.

Climate control is only a means of automating air flow and temperature. The A/C components are exactly the same as for a car with a manually controlled system.

Climate control is only a means of automating air flow and temperature. The A/C components are exactly the same as for a car with a manually controlled system.

True indeed.

You'll find a climate control system however, will tend to run the compressor near all of the time. For this reason I have no quarms leaving the A/C on most of the time in our Freelander (which hasn't got climate control).

Anyone here remember the trick of rubbing the inside of a potato over the the screen to stop it misting up?

It does work to a point but the potato starch can impede vision nearly as much.

Aside note about A/C systems. Make sure the compressor runs for an hour or two each week. It stops the seals drying out which can lead to refirgerant loss.

There must be a suitable potatoe related pun in there but darned if I can think of it!

I like a challenge.

I tried rubbing a potato on the inside of my windscreen...

but I didn't find it a-peeling.

& I was left with a big chip on my windscreen.

& it looked like someone squeezed a tuber toothpaste on the windscreen.

the results were spudtacular. :bigsmile:

I'm sorry :embarrest::amuse: