Longest time without a car?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What the longest time you have been without a car - or at least with a car off the road?

I had the Rover off the road for about 6 months but at least I had a second car at the time!

2 weeks when i go on holiday :lol:. longest other than that 2 days when the honda failed its mot.
prelude was off the road for over a year before i decided it was too much hassle to fix up and parents giving me hell so it was scrapped so al not count that

Probably the first 17 years of my life:toung:

But well I still don't have a car but I have a car that I can use for the next 1 or 2 years. I'll save up in that time and come back with a nice RX8 350 Z or a Shelby Cobra

3 weeks and counting.

firstly it had its cosmetic surgery and soon its got to go to the garage to get fixed.

i hate it!!

Its the usual story of as soon as somethings get good in your life something else goes spectacularly wrong.

I bought some rear tinted led lights of ebay, i battled long and hard for these, through 2 auctions and payment difficulties. So eventually i win them to work the leds they have to be plugged into the side lights, thought it was easy so i tried to do it myself, exactly 5 minutes later the following stops working ; speedo, indicators, milage and fog lights.

one week later; i live at work literally so my car was parked in their car park, and some stpid ******* **** has reversed into the boot of my car and done one.

And to make this story even sadder they don't even have cctv in the car park.

if anyone knows of a call out mechanic who can fix my car by sunday please let me know :)

Aren't some people bloody inconsiderate? OK, it's only a car but even so the cost and inconvenience is big. If I'd reversed into someone's car I'd fess up immediately, leave a note and either pay or submit insurance claim.

Hayley - have you checked your car's fuses? That's almost certainly the cause. Without being too technical, LEDs have to be wired with a resistor in series with each one. If they're wired directly to the sidelights then as soon as one starts to light up it will be almost like a short circuit, which means that the amount of current exceeds the fuses rating. Commonly cars makers pair up electrical items and fuses, or put several devices on one fuse, which would explain the problem you have.

The chance of electrical damage is very very small indeed. Fuses are put there to stop such things occuring.

If you need further info then please PM me - My Dad's Astra is MkIV and I can get him to fax me over the fuses section of the manual.

Me and a friend are just reading the manual now, it looks quite simple to change over and there is a place in minehead which sells parts so i'll go down there tomorow and get a new fuse and hope they can tell me which one has blown, but thanks a lot for your help,

on the boot its unrepairable and i'll need a new one. yeah if i ever did that to someone i would definately confess.

i'll let you know how it goes.

My first car was a Ford Fiesta which I bought 2 months before I passed my test. My second car was a Peugeot 206 which I owned the same time as my Fiesta. I sold the Fiesta roughly a month after I bought the pug. My third & current car is a 1.6 ford fiesta zetec-s hich I bought exactly 23 hours after selling the pug and thats the longest Ive been without a car.

Excluding the first 17 years of my life and the odd day or two when the car is getting repaired, services or MOT'd.

I hate being without a car. Round here it's impossible to go about one's life without one. I managed for 17 years without a car ie. before I passed test etc. Back then I didn't need one because I lived in the suburbs of London and public transport was plentiful and cheap.

We have 2 cars in this household, and really do need both of them. If we didn't we woudln't have 'em.

yeap hdi were the same both have cars cause we both need them. i try to get any work to my car done on a day im off so its more conveniant that trying to get us both to work with 1 car. means the wife would have to get up a 5 take me to work come hame wait an hour back across to her work then the same at night.

Hayley try putting the original lights back in to begin with. the fog lights and indicators make it sound like its shorted when youve swapped the harness over ( find this a little hard to believe as its covered in rubber or plastic and youll still have the carpet in your boot ) or the lights them selves have caused it to short. the instrament cluster im not so sure about. has anything else stopped ? may be a bigger fuse under the bonnet

All fixed! I looked through about 10 fuses and they were fine so took it to a garage. 6 fuses were missing!!! and one had blown, but 10 minutes and 5 pounds later it was all sorted.