Lifespan of shoes in rear drums

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
Chaps the wife's Yaris has rear drums. I haven't had a car with them for 20 years. Am I right in thinking that the shoes should last 80 or 90k miles? Car is 6 years old and I had the idea to have a look at them but I'm thinking that at 29k it's not worth the hassle of getting the drums off? Brakes are fine, no noise, handbrake works well.

Leave it alone. I haven't owned anything with this setup probably about the same amount of time. Provided the HB is working and the footbrake pedal travel isn't long then nothing to touch. Yaris is pretty light anyway there's not a lot for the rear drums to do. Even under full brake force there's huge weight transfer to the front wheels.

You can remove the drums and clean it all from dust and check everything is all right.

If what I remember from my old Cortina days is correct, drum brakes were a ruddy nightmare to work on.
Unsure what the modern day version/equivalent is like, but for peace of mind Guy you could take the car into an MOT station and get them to do a brake load test.