Keen drivers mondeo sized under £2.5k

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
A colleague wants a fast spacious saloon which is nice to drive,(sub £2500) The shortlist so far are st220 and skoda VRS ( I know a bit about the Ford but nothing on the Skoda, Any input here please, Cheers

MGZS 180? You'll get a tidy MK one in that range, its a V6 with 5 doors and its great to drive.
Just make sure that cam belts have been done as this can be an expensive job, the clutch slave cylinder can be a weak link but can be easily fixed. :)

Last edited:
Around a year ago when I returned to the UK and needed a car I decided on the mgzt 180 and everyone I asked, dealers, mechanics and friends all said stay well away from Rover products, I suppose the Accord type R would be a reasonable suggestion, againI know nothing about these, If it were me i'd go for the trusty Ford but it seems the Skoda offers a lot for good mpg. Thanks

The zs180 had weak points such as the clutch slave cylinder and vis motors but if these have been recitified it is a cracker to drive. I had one so I know. St24s or st200s are a good bet as long as they have been serviced regularly. They're chain driven so oil changes are vital.

Hdi will hate them BUT the vectra gsi is also worth considering. You could easily get a 2.6 vectra b gsi for under 2k, evo liked them and so did I. Saloons were made in germany.

Or you might be able to get a vectra c 3.2 gsi or elite, a bit more modern and it'll have stuff like satnav

The Passat is a good option especially in R32 guise! Try both cars, the Skoda is actually a lovely car to drive, and I'll go so far as to say the build quality is better than VW but the plastics used tend to look cheaper.

People who say stay from MG-Rover know nothing! I have had my MG ZS180 for over 6 years and it's been the most reliable car I have ever owned. You can pick up a mk2 180 with all the trimmings for 2.5k easy. ZTs a little more. The 180 ZT was the KV6 auto version, still a great car. At the end of the day it is down to badges for some, so what we say is wasted!

Yes a late Omega with low miles. There are still the odd one about and are great cars. I used to run a V6 Tourer, was a favourite car of mine, great all-rounder too and went pretty well when required.

The only problem with the omega is the fuel it uses.

*yes this really is comming from me*

My granddad had one a few years back, and he drives slower then your average OAP. He could never get it over 30mpg. Or MPH for that matter :lol:

The Omega is one Vauxhall I actually quite like. The 4 cylinder ones are ploddy but the 2.6 and 3.2 are very nice. Good lower cost alternative to a used 5 series but I suspect maintenance and servicing will cost a bit more than the BMW.

volvo s60 or s60 or even the v70 in a d5 goes like stink good mpg safe
and a lot cheaper then 2.5k
am watching a s80 on ebay at the min ok is petrol but still get 25 round town is on 800 quid no bids finishes in 2hrs might bid

They already metioned a mondeo mate, St200 could be had for 2.5k.
To be fair there is tonnes of stuff 2.5k that fits the bill I wouldn't know where to start. Though I did see an MG ZT 260 (yes that's the one with the dirty mustang v8) on ebay for £3500 not too long ago with FSH....seriously.....yes!

Buy it. Then get a dreadnought supercharger on it and you'll see 400bhp. Then you can have fun really confusing people when they can't get anywhere near your 'rover'

volvo s60 or s60 or even the v70 in a d5 goes like stink good mpg safe
and a lot cheaper then 2.5k
am watching a s80 on ebay at the min ok is petrol but still get 25 round town is on 800 quid no bids finishes in 2hrs might bid

Matt, I have tried advising people down this rout, but no one seems to ever take a blind bit of notice. :(

I think your either a Volvo man, or your not. I love the D5's. S60 D5 with the sexy little aireal at the back (like a sharks fin) look, sound, drive amazing. The speed from a deisal is unreal. But no bugger listens to us. Thats why (on here and in life) I have stopped advising people about the benefits of a Volvo. No one listens. They would rather buy a skoda instead :(

Matt, I have tried advising people down this rout, but no one seems to ever take a blind bit of notice. :(

I think your either a Volvo man, or your not. I love the D5's. S60 D5 with the sexy little aireal at the back (like a sharks fin) look, sound, drive amazing. The speed from a deisal is unreal. But no bugger listens to us. Thats why (on here and in life) I have stopped advising people about the benefits of a Volvo. No one listens. They would rather buy a skoda instead :(

clad someone likes them as well one of the best cars on the road i think i have owned and driven a lot of cars and will always by another volvo
but you are right you like them or hate them

I'd rather have a Volvo over ANYTHING in the VAG stable (not just Skoda) any day........