Is this a dump a valve on my car?

N

norema

Hi all,

I have a Ibiza Cupra 2010 and it sounds like it has a dump valve on it. I have found the component that the air comes out from when I take my foot off the accelerator whilst in neutral. It is silver and has 3 holes on it either side. I can't find a part number or make on it so not sure if it is actually a dump valve.

I'm not even sure if it is meant to be standard.

I have uploaded some photos of the parts here, I would really appreciate any help about this asap as I may be returning the car if it has a dump valve fitted.

Url's to images are below.

* Removed URL'S as per our T&C's *

Sorry buddy but you need 10 posts before the system will allow you to post any URL's or photos, this helps us to deter the spammers - I hope you understand.

T9 man
Super Moderator.

Thanks
Stewart

If its the diesel then yes. I am pretty sure they came standard with some form of recirculating valve. No idea about the petrol counterpart.

i think vw/seat/audi are all designed to use recirulating dump valve which are very quite unless you put a cold air intake which then can be heard but it still should not be that loud

What engine does it have??

Does a DV have any purpose with a diesel engine? There's no throttle . . . . . .

I know about this as I thought about it when I was tuning my 306. It just dumps the pressure produced in the intake. Meaning your turbo will have to spool again...

I only said what I did, as a friend had a Fabia VRS with a similar valve, the VRS was a diesel and he had it replaced for an actually dump valve. Sounded silly... But his car!

If thats the case then it maybe the 2010 Cupra 1.8 turbo engine.

Not correct. It dumps the pressure to allow turbo to continue to spin thus allowing it to spool up quicker. ;)

I know about this as I thought about it when I was tuning my 306. It just dumps the pressure produced in the intake. Meaning your turbo will have to spool again...

I only said what I did, as a friend had a Fabia VRS with a similar valve, the VRS was a diesel and he had it replaced for an actually dump valve. Sounded silly... But his car!

If thats the case then it maybe the 2010 Cupra 1.8 turbo engine.

I know that, and it will go into the cylinders via the intake valves then out through the exhaust valves. The only difference is that with the accelerator pedal off no fuel will be injected.

But the boost will diminish pretty quickly with no power applied because the mass of exhaust gas will fall off with the accelerator pedal released.

I can't see how a dump valve would serve any purpose with a diesel engine.

what engine is fitted ?
if its any of the turbo petrol models then yes. although the standard ones are normally black and you will hardly hear them until the diaphram starts to split.

the oil burners dont have them as said there is no throttle plate, although there is an anti shudder valve which does the same idea, my engine can sit with .1 bar of boost at idle

what engine is fitted ?
if its any of the turbo petrol models then yes. although the standard ones are normally black and you will hardly hear them until the diaphram starts to split.

the oil burners dont have them as said there is no throttle plate, although there is an anti shudder valve which does the same idea, my engine can sit with .1 bar of boost at idle

That would make absolute sense, though variable geometry turbos will achieve the same thing without any of the silly noises associated with DVs