Are dump valves a good idea in a diesel

hough

Road Burner
Car
VW T5 swb 2.5tdi
Hey iv been looking on the net and cant really find a proper answer but i was trying to find out if dump valves add any performance or is it just noise, also just to add a bit of confusion to this question, some sites are telling me my vw bora 150 bhp pd has an dump valve (waste gate as standard) is this right.....

;)
Hey iv been looking on the net and cant really find a proper answer but i was trying to find out if dump valves add any performance or is it just noise, also just to add a bit of confusion to this question, some sites are telling me my vw bora 150 bhp pd has an dump valve (waste gate as standard) is this right.....

Are you talking about a blow off valve that can be plumbed back into the inlet before the TB or vented to atmosphere OR a wastegate that vents excess turbo exhaust into the dump pipe downstream from the turbine to prevent overboosting:confused: if it vents to atmosphere it is called a screamer pipe and is very naughty if on a street driven car:blink:;)
No I do not have a screamer on my turbo.

Like HDi said, It's just noise. Want a dump valve sound add an induction kit or air filter, and a turbo back exhaust. Makes a noise called turbo flutter. Some say it's bad, some say it's harmless. I don't think it has been proven to be honest.

Turbo flutter is the waste opening and closing repeatedly and rapidly. Some say that this can cause damage to the turbocharger's rotor and bearings. As noted above it's not really been proven.

Turbo 'flutter' will occur without any alteration to the mechanicals or the induction system, although I found that after remapping my 2.2 HDi there was considerably more flutter under full load operation (can't really say full throttle given the nature of this thread :) )

Last edited: