Insane engine swaps

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are the most insane engine swaps you've seen performed on a car?

The usual VR6 mk2 Golf, 1.8T Polo/Golf conversions and even the Civic H22A conversions have been done to death.

There was an insane Rover 3500 which had an 8 litre Tank engine installed IIRC. But I can't remember who did it, I think it was a magazine.

What other insane engine swaps do you know about? Links would be appreciated also. Any V8 American muscle going into European/Jap cars would certainly qualify?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that rover on 5th gear iirc it only revs to 3k but with a bit of clever engineering he managed to get it to 180mph

I've seen a v6 in a ka, a let in a golf, a v6 in a nova,

Pug1Off's Peugeot 306 with not one, but TWO 24 valve V6 engines (one driving front wheels, the other driving the rear wheels) has got to be a contender.

prince has just reminded me.
a mk4 astra with monaro v8 and running gear that project was a great read!!!!

What are the most insane engine swaps you've seen performed on a car?

There was an insane Rover 3500 which had an 8 litre Tank engine installed IIRC. But I can't remember who did it, I think it was a magazine.

What other insane engine swaps do you know about? Links would be appreciated also. Any V8 American muscle going into European/Jap cars would certainly qualify?

I saw that rover on 5th gear iirc it only revs to 3k but with a bit of clever engineering he managed to get it to 180mph

I've seen a v6 in a ka, a let in a golf, a v6 in a nova,

The Rover SD1 you've both seen has a 27ltr Rover Meteor engine from a Centurion tank, that is the non-turbocharged version of the Rolls Royce Merlin engine that powered the Spitfires/Hurricanes in WWII, and yes, very clever engineering, it was built by a guy who worked for practical performance car mag over the course of about 20 years.

I've seen a VR6 go into a Lupo, an American guy built a Mazda RX-7 FD3S with a 427c.i. LS7 Chevy V8, it had about 500hp in standard trim but he supercharged it as well, no links I'm afraid, I saw that in an old issue of max power,

the craziest engine transplant I have ever seen:
102_0773.jpg 102_0774.jpg
:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Andy Burton's Alfa Ferrai rallycar springs to mind, V8 Ferrari power! I remember a VW Scirocco back in the 80s with two engines, rear one was turbo power iirc. My old boss from years back shoehorned a 5 pot Audi lump into an Austin Maxi!

My only conversions were a Rover V8 powered Vauxhall Chevette and same said engine rammed into a Bedford CF350 van, that was my tow barge for racing :amuse:

V8 rear engined Mini pick-up was also something to see and hear!

Thats just reminded me the first conversion I ever saw was a 1750 engine from a maxi in a mk2 fiesta.

just to run another question along side, what would be the ultimate engine swap, what engine in what car?

in terms of practicality, performance and reliability?

In terms of reliability and practicality it's probably better to buy a car which covers your performance needs with it's factory fitted engine.

Back in 1989 I worked with a bloke who'd transplanted a Cavalier SRi 130 engine into a Morris Minor Traveller and retained the RWD configuration.

The A1 Quattro is a bit mental, I'm sure you could do something similar at home for a fraction of the cost.

My mrs,s boss has put a 3 litre engine in a toyota mr2,his next stage is to supercharge it,not sure what the engine come out off,although it is a toyota one!.

^^^ Marvellous, take plenty of photos and get plenty of details, this sounds like an awesome project in the making ;)