How many cars do you own

Have you actually driven one?

I've driven quite a few Focus models and all are superbly competent in my opinion. The 1.6 petrol ones are a bit ploddy. As are the poverty spec TDCi's.

In most ways I prefer the earlier (1998 starting) models over the later ones. The current 1.8 petrol is very sluggish in my opinion and drinks petrol if you try to get some life from it.

But handling wise (and sheer brutal grip wise) it's a win all the way.

Well you did ask !

The list

Nissan Stagea with tuned rb26 engine - Road toy and for a bit of track use
1991 32 GTR Skyline - restored for prosperity
1973 911T targa needs to be restored but cant sell it as Ive had it for over 20 years
03 civic VTi coupe - daily drive
SLK kompressor with some brabus bits had from new . will be daily drive when I sell the civic

ALSO have
another nissan stagea (std) an xjs V12 cabriolet and a jensen interceptor which I need to sell with the civic

Last edited:
Have you actually driven one?

Hmmm maybe.;)

i have yes and i will agree with hdi's statement!! for the money i dont think?(prove me wrong) there is a better hatchback out there!! (excluding hot hatches ofcourse;))

What about the Focus RS?

I've driven quite a few Focus models and all are superbly competent in my opinion. The 1.6 petrol ones are a bit ploddy. As are the poverty spec TDCi's.

In most ways I prefer the earlier (1998 starting) models over the later ones. The current 1.8 petrol is very sluggish in my opinion and drinks petrol if you try to get some life from it.

TBH there is nothing at all wrong with Ford's 1.6 litre engine.
Don't get me wrong it's not fast but it holds it's own and does it's job with ease.
All the new shape Focus' are all very pleasant to drive.
Get a Zetec an I guarantee it Will Out handle everything on the road for the same price.;)

i have yes and i will agree with hdi's statement!! for the money i dont think?(prove me wrong) there is a better hatchback out there!! (excluding hot hatches ofcourse;))

I've driven the 1.6 variant and hated it. It feels slow and heavy. IMO I'd go with a Honda Civic or a VW Golf. Doesn't even have to be the top spec version.

Golf is heavier than the Focus. You're cuckoo maaaayte. It will feel slow and heavy with a 1.6, I think they're around 80bhp per tonne lol.

But if it can't be fast I'd rather have a German interior. It's a horrible car to be a passenger in as well... On a 3 hour journey from Northampton to Manchester I was very uncomortable and I noticed all the cheap plastic inside the car.

Hmmm maybe.;)

What about the Focus RS?

TBH there is nothing at all wrong with Ford's 1.6 litre engine.
Don't get me wrong it's not fast but it holds it's own and does it's job with ease.
All the new shape Focus' are all very pleasant to drive.
Get a Zetec an I guarantee it Will Out handle everything on the road for the same price.;)

I agree - the Focus is a brilliant handler.

I wouldn't even consider chasing a current model 1.6 Focus around on a twisty road in my E39 5 series, which is extremely agile itself. It's quicker on the straight, without question, but not by so much that a 1.6 Focus would be shamed.

The E39 5 series cars are VERY heavy.

I'm interested in Ford's new 1.6 petrol turbo Mondeo. I know that the 2.2 TDCi twin turbo derv will outrun it, but the Petrol 1.6T is about £7k cheaper.

As I've said here and there, petrol engines are now getting some attention again.