Why are there so many silver cars

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I have been playing a silly game for the last year or so - counting how many silver cars pass me in a row - So far best is 9.

Why do people buy silver cars? One reason I have heard is because of the resale value. When I buy a car it is because I like it, not because it has a good resale value.

Any other reasons why silver is so popular?

Reactions: Loz
Maybe, but SOOOOOOOOOoooooo boring, but I guess a lot of people like to play safe. I see a lot of sheep :)

i understand where you are coming from!!
But in the past couple of years the same can be said for white! and the timeless classic black i have actually been in a row of 6 black vags 4 audis, 1 golf and my leon. so its not just silver;)

Well when I bought my Saab, one of the things I liked about it was how good it looked with the showroom shine, very striking I thought.
I never once gave a thought to possible resale values!

Here in India The preferences go as below:

WHITE
RED
SILVER
AND LASTLY BLACK!

White is cheapest to maintain, what with all the nicks one gets while driving on Indian roads.
Red is regarded as an auspicious colour.
Silver is regarded as a colour of prestige (and of-course being neutral, has a demand)
Black is the colour of choice of the those who prefer to stand out in a crowd.

I personally have 2 cars, metalic silver, and pearl silver, and thus decided against getting the third in any colour even remotely close to silver.

So, I opted for white, but its metalic, so slightly different from the usual.

At a light here, out of say 40 cars waiting, about 25 would be a healthy mixture of white and red, with the balance made of the rest of the colours.

So while silver is dominant in your part of the world, here its white, and then red.

I haven't washed my silver Mustang in almost 2 years and I never hear a word about it.

If I don't wash my black Cobalt each and every day, inevitably, someone will come up and comment on it. "When ya gonna wash yer car?"

Personally I hate silver. It's far too common and boring. However, when you go out shopping for a muscle car and only have $1300 to spend, color is the last thing you're thinking about.

It was The Colour to buy in about 1995-2000 which is why there are so many around now. It is easy to re-sell because it's timeless.

You cannot say the same thing of banana yellow. Great when it's fashionable, otherwise, don't.

Large cars are always best bought in classic colours and always avoid flat (ie. normal gloss, non metallic or pearlescent) finishes.

my scooby's silver and the colour just seems to suit it, i bought it 2nd hand so didnt have a choice (well i did, but that was not to buy it). didnt really cross my mind about selling it again.

Silver was fashionable a while ago, thats why the police cars changed from being white to silver, easier to sell onthey thought , well columbo and detective sergeant Stench were wrong on that one as the cops turned silver the fashion went white.
I do beliee though nothing looks better than white on a very sunny day with a deep blue sky, especially Toyoyta landcruisers In hot countries