How do I change engine oil

Can someone give me a quick guide on how to and what tools I need to change my engine oil. Its about time I did some of my own car maintainance work!

pretty easy mate.

oil filter remover
spanners
basin

with the engine cold open the bonnet and locate your oil filter - dont touch it yet
jack up the car and support on axle stands- climb under the sump and look for a bolt on the side of it, this is the sump plug, find out what size spanner you need and lower the car down.
take a trip to your motor factors and get a filter, oil (they should be able to tell you the grade if not it should be in the handbook) and sump plug washer. - but give reanualt a phone 1st and see how much they charge for the stuff as it might not be as dear as you think.

make sure the engine is warm to hot when you change the oil as it will make it easier to remove.

switch off the engine - belive me folk will try and do this with the engine running
jack up the car and support on a stand.
place a basin under the sump and remove the plug
when the oil stop lower the car back down to make sure its all out and jack back up.
fit the new washer to the plug and replace plug into the sump
move the basin to under the filter and remove it
once its all drained get your new filter and put some clean oil on the rubber seal and fit as per instructions - normally hand tight
pour in oil up to the max mark - handbook will tell you how much it should take to fill use this as a guide - 0.5ltr.
once its up to the full STOP
turn the engine on and wait for the oil light to go out - will be a few seconds while the oil gets round the engine.
switch the engine off again and give a few mins for the oil to settle and check the level and top up as required.

remember that oil isnt something that should be done on the cheap

as pg says but make sure you do check the sump plug cause some arent bolt heads. some ar round and you will need a sump plug bit to get it out. and if the oil filter is in a convenient place dont bother with an oil filter tool a long screwdriver hammered through the filter will suffice;)

That's a good guide Pgarner you should tidy it up a bit and sticky it in the appropriate section no? I was going to do a guide if I ever get home so I can always take pictures anyway and send them for you to add later on.

To be fair on a lot of cars you don't even need to jack it up!

i would just add, as well as smearing oil around the oil filter rubber, also fill the filter with oil before fitting it.

filling the filter with oil is a very good thing to do - it' reduces the dry startup time when you first key the engine after filling with fresh oil.

It can be difficult if the filter mounted thread downwards though.

Good guide that.

On the clio, you also have to remove the fuel rail on the front of the head. 2 x 8mm bolts in the holes in the front of it. Also need to jack up front and remove the undertray, 4 x 8mm bolts. Better to do that otherwise it will fill with oil from when you remove the oil filter.

You'll need 5 litres + 1 litre of 5w/40 oil.

That's a good guide Pgarner you should tidy it up a bit and sticky it in the appropriate section no? I was going to do a guide if I ever get home so I can always take pictures anyway and send them for you to add later on.

To be fair on a lot of cars you don't even need to jack it up!

cheers mate it was only typed out quickly to give him an idea of what to do
will type it again when i get a chance photos would be good. ill try and get some of the basic ones on monday as needing to do a few things on mine anyway

i would just add, as well as smearing oil around the oil filter rubber, also fill the filter with oil before fitting it.

Never heard of that, but as Hdi says it would reduce the time that theres no proper oil circulation

Good guide that.

On the clio, you also have to remove the fuel rail on the front of the head. 2 x 8mm bolts in the holes in the front of it. Also need to jack up front and remove the undertray, 4 x 8mm bolts. Better to do that otherwise it will fill with oil from when you remove the oil filter.

You'll need 5 litres + 1 litre of 5w/40 oil.

6 ltrs to do an oil change ?????????????????? bloody hell

Pgarner: "6 ltrs to do an oil change ?????????????????? bloody hell"

Isn't the Clio 182 a V6? That would account for the higer volume of oil than most 4s require.

Not entirely sure this is good advice. But halfords do a universal sump plug wrench which works fine on mine.

They also have booklets in each section which lists the parts suitable for your car. The people who work in my local one are a bit pants. Maybe yours wont be though.

Did you see th epic in the link? It looks like a bar with various shape and size lumps on it. Mostly which are pyramid shaped( I guess so they can fit in small holes and big ones).

Pretty sure it can't be truely universal just covers a wide range of bases.