Highway code updates in October 2015

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Are you aware of the updates in the highway code?

When did you last read or refer to it?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code

The following is a brief outline of what has changed since you last referred to the code if you'd kept upto date and read it last year.

Rules for pedestrians (1 to 35)
New section added.
Rules for users of powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters (36 to 46)
New section added.
Rules about animals (47 to 58)
New section added.
Rules for cyclists (59 to 82)
New section added.
Rules for motorcyclists (83 to 88)
New section added.
Rules for drivers and motorcyclists (89 to 102)
New section added.
2 March 2015 : Updated rule 96 to reflect the change in law that you MUST NOT drive if you have illegal drugs or certain medicines in your blood above specified limits.
5 December 2014: Updated rule 95 to reflect the change in law for lower drink drive limits in Scotland.
General rules, techniques and advice for all drivers and riders (103 to 158)
New section added.
1 October 2015: Updated rule 148 to include that you MUST NOT smoke in a private vehicle carrying under 18s.
6 April 2015: Updated the national speed limit for goods vehicles (of more than 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight) in England and Wales on single carriageways from 40 miles per hour (mph) to 50mph, and on dual carriageways from 50mph to 60mph.
2 September 2014: Updated rule 147 about throwing things out of a vehicle from 'should not' to 'MUST NOT'.
2 April 2014: Changed 'Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)' to 'Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)' in rule 107.
Using the road (159 to 203)
New section added.
Road users requiring extra care (204 to 225)
New section added.
Driving in adverse weather conditions (226 to 237)
New section added.
Waiting and parking (238 to 252)
New section added.
Motorways (253 to 273)
New section added.
Breakdowns and incidents (274 to 287)
New section added.
Road works, level crossings and tramways (288 to 307)
New section added.
Other information
New section added.
Signals to other road users
New section added.
Signals by authorised persons
New section added.
Traffic signs
New section added.
Road markings
New section added.
Vehicle markings
New section added.
Annex 1. You and your bicycle
New section added.
Annex 2. Motorcycle licence requirements
New section added.
Annex 3. Motor vehicle documentation and learner driver requirements
New section added.
8 June 2015: Removed references to needing a paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence.
1 October 2014: Removed references of needing to display a tax disc in vehicles following their abolition.
Annex 4. The road user and the law
New section added.
Annex 5. Penalties
New section added.
5 June 2015: Updated the penalty table to remove the £5,000 limit on fines for the most serious offences.
Annex 6. Vehicle maintenance, safety and security
New section added.
Annex 7. First aid on the road
New section added.
Annex 8. Safety code for new drivers
New section added.
Light signals controlling traffic
New section added.

I have contacted our transport authority over here and requested they publicize any changes/updates by a flier sent with their registration renewal notice to no avail\B

FWIW I regularly check my knowledge on the transport dept website road rules test BUT never think that my fellow road users are as aware of the rules or even have a basic understanding of them and drive accordingly. Like everyone is out to get me :)

Why as nation aren't we notified by post of any changes to the laws/rules?
Cause someone like myself who doesn't read the papers or watch the news how am I supposed to know about these things? Am I supposed to be reliant on people such as yourself waynne to tell me?
What if we break said new laws/rules can they truly be enforced cause tbh they won't be common knowledge to the majority of the nation!?

I have been told by some bureaucrat when I queried as to why the general public are not advised of new/changes in road rules that "all the new laws are in HANSARD and that ignorance is no defense". :rolleyes:\B

Why as nation aren't we notified by post of any changes to the laws/rules?
Cause someone like myself who doesn't read the papers or watch the news how am I supposed to know about these things? Am I supposed to be reliant on people such as yourself waynne to tell me?
What if we break said new laws/rules can they truly be enforced cause tbh they won't be common knowledge to the majority of the nation!?
I quite agree Herb, we should be notified or given an updated copy. You can get email notifications now which is something helpful.

Thanks for the heads up, much of this was news to me. Thankfully I don't think i've done any of these things.