Hello, 1.5dci Clio

gadi

Wrench Pro
Car
clio
Hi,
I own :
Old but fast 1.8 VW Golf
Even older 1988 Ford Sierra, one day i will replace the engine with something nicer (the car is in a very very good shape, rare WD, fun to drive)

And every days car : Clio 2002 1.5dci

Just bought ELM327 cable + KWP2000+ Cable + DVDs with tuned files.
New to the ECU subject.
The car doesn't equipped with intercooler.

Questions regarding the Clio:
1. Adding intercooler - pros / cons, price (I know its vary between countries, so lets say price in US).
2. Don't think going to dyno it soon. Does someone know - is it 65 or 80 bhp? (the car so slow it does something like 14Sec 0-100kph)
3. Remaping - using the bought DVD, pros/cons, safe?..
4. ECU maps - does info regarding those maps is out there some where?
5. AirFilter - what to do with it?
6. Brakes - how do i improve ? (IMPORTANT)
7. Suggesstions regarding this economic clio ? simple low-cost tunings? (exahst / etc.)

Thanks, Gadi.

P.S.
Just drove (1 hour) on standart 300bhp new Subaro-Impreza (2.5T) .. Amazing!!!!!!

Hi Gadi, welcome to TorqueCars it sounds like you love your cars. You'll fit in nicely here.

Is the Clio a TURBO diesel? If not an intercooler is a waste of time. I'm still not convinced that you will see much gain with an intercooler on a diesel turbo but there will be a power gain there.

Specs vary from country to country. I think it is around 80bhp but you need the engine code to be more accurate really.

Don't remap unless you know what you are doing. If things go wrong you are left with a dead car. Get used to the diagnostic software and always save a backup.

Air filter wise I would go with a panel air filter rather than an induction kit.

Get some brakes from a 172 or Clio sport model. A breakers yard will usually yield a decent set for you. Go for disks all round as well if you can as these brake much better.

To be honest you will spend a lot of money increasing your 80hp to around 100hp. The same money spent on another 150 bhp car could give an extra 50bhp or more if it is a turbo.

The sierra would be a good project, keep the clio as your runaround and focus on the sierra as your project car.

Hi,
The clio is (of course) a turbo one. In the car license it specified as 65bhp, but the "annual test" (each year car-license tech check) it gives on their dyno 80bhp.
Are you saying intercooler will not give much? i guess just putting it there is not cost-effective solution, but as i understand it will give more options when remapping. I understand intercooler installation is not cheap. Still i have the money for these changes, as my everyday car need to be a little bit faster then it is today (hey.. its my health on the stake ;::)
I do not want to buy another car instead. My next car will be probably a new Seat Ibiza 1.8T, so... till then.. Now I just want extra 25-30 bhp and still have economic car. Not more.
As for the Sierra, I already saw one in my country, equipped with Pontiac's 5.7L engine. Also 1988 1.6CL before the upgrade. It was attached to the original drive-shaft. He made there something beautiful!! I want tooo, but there it will cost me around 8-10K USD, not cheap at all. So this will wait.
The Golf, BTW, is not for any upgrade. It will remain as is (my wife's everyday car, and my weekends car ..)

So, i came here to learn from other experience and to take it one step after another. The first thing is probably trying to play with the clio's maps. You say it is risky. i understand, but after reading here and there I think changing something, and then test it thoughrolly with diagnostic software (you said to get use to it - agree 100% - one step after another) will be good and pretty much safe learning.

I promise to write less per thread in the future :::)) and to ask relevant questions when i will face them. I have the feeling after good tune to the ecu, my first question will be : OK, what's next ? Bigger Turbo or Intercooler..

Thanks for the advise regarding the brakes, i will look for it, but what is "172" ? (I familiar with the clio sport - is it named 172?)

I didn't understand what is "panel air filter" ?

Thanks again, glad to be here!
Gadi.

Nothing wrong with long posts - expecially as you are using paragraphs! :lol: (A pet hate of mine is long posts without paragraphs!)

A panel air filter is the same size and shape as the standard paper one but is made of a high flow filter material.

We have the Clio 172 over here which is simply a 172 bhp version of the ClioSport.

Has the car done many miles? It might pay off to get a good thorough service done and make sure you are currently getting 100% before you start to mod it further.

the handbook doesn't specifies single model. It refers to all Clio's engines. The dyno report also in kw, but when translating to hp it matches 80 (even a little bit more).

the car made 220,000km (~140,000 miles), but the previous owner was someone i know and she never passed over the 90kph (~55mph) speed limit, and the services being done in the same central-Renault place since day 1.

"panel" air filter - understood. simple, easy, and with the huge air filter housing - probably like "open filter" (hope you also name it "open filter"....). We have a saying : "Filter-Chip-Exhaust" as a basic thing must come first, and just then starting with real modifications. The "Filter" was always referring to the "open" one, but the "panel" sound easier and more simple to install and check. BTW - the clio-sport till last year was the 172.. so it is the same here..:)

anyhow, i am waiting to get the KWP2000+ cable (this week i hope) and the ELM327, save backup and analyze what can be analyzed at least few weeks before first remap attempt.

hope to have you along with me, when i am turning my slow car into a normal car (or dead one).. Promise to report and ask in each step.