Tuning clio 1.5dci 65

redmoo

Car
clio 1.5dci 65
Hi guys, i'm brand new to this site but have already found a HUGE amount of info regarding tuning my car, however, I have never modified a car before and am looking for advice before i start

I'm looking to get as much out of my little engine/car as is possible so I'm after info on:-

1 - best remap to get?
2 - should i get an intercooler fitted, if so, what kind of price would I be looking at, or should I look at replacing air filter?
3 - replacing front brake discs/pads etc with non standard renault/kwikfit parts
4 - lowering suspension -i have the Dynamique version so is this already lower that standard?
5 - anything else that can be done ie turbo change.

I will have to get the vast majority of work done by a garage, so if anybody knows of anywhere that can provide the above in the Plymouth area I'd be mighty thankful, cheers :eek:

hey and welcome to the site mate.

1) find someone retubile, look at celtic tuning there well liked on here
2) you should already have an intercooler fitted , an upgrade isnt needed unless your going onto big turbos
3) DONT GO NEAR KWIKFIT. OEM pads should be alright. i just put new discs and pads on a kangoo ? van last night (def uses the same engine and think the clio was on the applications list on the side of the box for the pads) braked better than by bora when my mum took it out to test (its her works van and im not insured to drive it)
air filter, diesels generally flow pretty well anyway, look at a panel filter but i wouldnt bother with an induction kit
4) trim levels, this varies from manufaturer, dont think it will be lowered any than standard.
5) turbo upgrade is possible but £££££££££££ and i dont think the 1.5 block will take that much. would be cheaper to drop in the 1.9
hope this is of some help

Cheers for the quick reply,

just emailed Celtic Tuning so will see what they offer.

My version of clio doesn't have an intercooler, that was put on the 80 and 100 bhp version. Can't find any example of price yet but I am in the process of contacting K-Tec and seeing what they can do.

Looked up filters from K&N which seem to have a good review and will check out OEM and Black Diamond for goodies.

Once again thanks:bigsmile:

Rather than fork out for a new intercooler, try a scrappy for the intercooler and pipework out of a wreaked clio. you could proberly pick everything up for have of what k-tec will want for a new one. like i said a larger one than normal wont help, more hinder as it will mean more lag as theres more area to pressuirse.
wait until youve got the intercooler before remapping as Celtic will be able to take into account the denser air maybe only a couple of bhp and ftlb but it will help

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) in other words reanuats stuff themselves.

and i would advise agaist K and N theres alot of bad press about them over oiling the filters. over time the oil coats the MAF and it will need replaced ( cleaning them sometimes works but not allways ) try Green for the filter as they dont (or at least didnt) oil the filter. If you do go for K and N wash it before fitting

But will all, dont listen to what they claim - even under the testimonials, do you think they would put up bad reviews ?

2) you should already have an intercooler fitted , an upgrade isnt needed unless your going onto big turbos

Not needed but can be beneficial even with a standard turbo. Varies from car to car but I'd recommend a larger capacity/better positioned cooler if you are increasing or planning to increase the boost (which no doubt they will if you have a remap). Also, as Pgarner said not too large or you may lose pressure across the cooler.

Last edited:
you want to do what i did (and still doing..). I too have a clio without IC.
- i remapped it myself (risky - but i think i came with the best results so far)
- installed EGT + BOOST gauges
- replace the filter with the open-filter (mainly to get some room for the IC pipes)
- bought an IC, and now looking for rubber pipes for it (as I understand from one of the articles here - diesel needs rubber pipe, not aluminum as it boosting all the time.. and it is!)
- after installing the IC i intend to "play" with the wastegate actuator to reach 1.4bar (currently ~1.2, i read somewhere that the specific k9k turbo is safe up to 1.5bar)
- if (and when) i will have enough money - replace the pistons with the 105dci pistons which are much more reliable and stronger then the 65/80 ones.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f73/clio-1-5dci-ecu-tune-6271/

- bought an IC, and now looking for rubber pipes for it (as I understand from one of the articles here - diesel needs rubber pipe, not aluminum as it boosting all the time.. and it is!)

I plans sound tip top and different to the norm, which I like. Can't imagine there'd be any difference between the boost piping of a diesel and petrol tbh but rubber (and even silicone) can stretch under high-boost applications. I'd use as much stainless steel as possible rather than rubber or silicone, with flared ends so the joiners don't slip off. You can use aluminium, but it's a bit soft to put straight under the car remember.

1.5bar or 1.4bar is quite a fair amount of boost. Even if the turbo is "safe" to this and that, on an engine of this type it's probably a small turbo that won't hold 1.4bar for virtually any amount of time anyway. Try and get hold of a compressor map for the turbo you have, as there is only so far a turbo can go before you're just increasing inlet temps without actually gaining any performance.

If you actually run 1.4 bar, it's not the turbo's safety you need to worry about, it's the the engine. Chances are you will need to lower the compression, and definately get a steel HG. You are also increasing the risk of cracking your head.

hi guys,

if i get an intercooler from a 80/100 bhp clio will it fit straight on my car or will it need altering?

Looking at getting an intercooler first then taking it for a remap then go from there.

MasterAuron - the stock turbo boosts 1.15bar, and it is normal for the dci engine. It is not like the common 0.7bar in petrol engines. Also note that i am looking for rubber pipes that where made specifically for IC connections. Steel for that matter is not good in diesel engines - it damages the performance (socking heat and releasing it later, as the diesel tubo boosts all the time - unlike petrol engines). I've made a huge study on this issue. As for the pressure, and just for the example - i've checked Skoda-Octavia 1.9TDI boost - it was 1.0bar stock.

redmoo - try to google the IC, there's a nice diagram with height and width parameters somewhere. It was not good for me as the A/C pipes are installed where it should be mounted. I bought something that can be install in the buttom (wide and short - not good for shorten lag, but easier to mount and will get better cool breeze). I promised to upload pictures, but still didn't shoot them.. and still hadn't got the time for the IC installation - but i will do it soon (a holiday is coming - i will use the 1 week vacation for this issue)

MasterAuron - the stock turbo boosts 1.15bar, and it is normal for the dci engine. It is not like the common 0.7bar in petrol engines. Also note that i am looking for rubber pipes that where made specifically for IC connections. Steel for that matter is not good in diesel engines - it damages the performance (socking heat and releasing it later, as the diesel tubo boosts all the time - unlike petrol engines). I've made a huge study on this issue. As for the pressure, and just for the example - i've checked Skoda-Octavia 1.9TDI boost - it was 1.0bar stock.

What's all of that got to do with the 1.4bar you were referring to? Even if the stock turbo boosts to 1.15bar, that is not the same as holding you realise? Depends on gas flow I suppose. No good saying you run 1000bar, if it's just a boost spike. Then again, in a diesel there's not much of a rev range to hold boost over, so maybe it does this very well.

More boost pressure is more boost pressure on any car. Simple fact remains, rubber and even silicone will flex under boost more than a solid item. Just because the manufacturer put rubber pipes on, doesn't mean they're any good. You must not have owned/driven many older turbocharged cars running a decent amount of boost to have never had a boost pipe pop off or split. Either that or your study is based too much on the theory on the computer and less on the real world.

Also, thin steel boost piping will have to retain a hell of a lot of heat to compare to that of the turbo itself and inlet under hard driving. Don't forget how fast the air travels through the system too. Not going to happen I'm afraid.

Less study, more doing?

because i'm in the "doing" mode, or might one say "try and error", I am going to do it as i think it should be. And I checked for the reasons and asked experienced people.
i think you are taking the petrol (benzine) engines as a refferance, and it is completely not the same in diesels.

Anyhow, i am left only with the IC as my last mod on this car. I will install it. I already travelled 5000km with my homemade chip, and because i do with this clio about 40,000km per year - i will be able to say what where the damages.