Has your view on electric cars changed

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
With more and more electric cars on the roads and the recent TopGear feature on them has your view of electric cars changed?

Do you think you'll ever get one?

No chance, unless it can imitate a blown V8 with power to match..................no? Okay then I'm afraid it won't change me unless the prices are brought down and range increased. However if being 'green' is the only reason then it still needs power to charge it and big beasty batteries to run it.

Just a thought, when I can no longer drive due to very old age I may be forced into riding something powered by batteries! :sad2:

They seem to be either cheap but horrendous, or if you want something decent you end up paying a fortune. Battery technology is a dead end, and all it does is shift pollution from the car to the power station. Electric cars should not be allowed to be classed as zero emissions, they are not, they are just displaced emissions.
Get cheap hydrogen from sea water with wind or wave power and burn that, by product is water.

My views on electric cars has not changed in the last few years, I still think they have an awful long way to go. I will however keep an open mind as to future developments.
Did have a go in a G-Wiz once, enough said I think :embarrest:

My views on electric cars has not changed in the last few years, I still think they have an awful long way to go. I will however keep an open mind as to future developments.
Did have a go in a G-Wiz once, enough said I think :embarrest:

going on the way you described yourself in another post, i'm suprised you could get into a G-Whiz. i think the toy car i had as a kid was bigger...

going on the way you described yourself in another post, i'm suprised you could get into a G-Whiz. i think the toy car i had as a kid was bigger...

:lol: I am a big lad and it was not the most dignified of entrys into the car :amuse:

haha! i had the fortune of stumbling across a lotus esprit turbo in a multistory car park. as the owner was locking it up. i got brave and asked. and he said yes. i could get in it, but no way would i of been able to drive it.

i struggle to drive an early 206 let alone a smart car, so how on earth i'll manage with a G-Whiz i do not know!

We were pondering electric cars for the missus really short commute to work, but even spending a fair few thousand you still end up with hideous dinky cars that offer less protection than driving a cardboard box.

It's good that manufacturers are exploring these technologies but I don't think it's the final solution & the only reason the government loves them is because it makes them look like their doing something positive about the environment. Personally I hope fuel cell technology gets the break though it needs & soon! :amuse:

It's good that manufacturers are exploring these technologies but I don't think it's the final solution & the only reason the government loves them is because it makes them look like their doing something positive about the environment. Personally I hope fuel cell technology gets the break though it needs & soon! :amuse:

True, I couldn't agree with you more.
Cue the conspiracy theorists who would say these technologies are available already its just that the oil companies are holding them back so that the can squeeze the last big money out of the remaining oil deposits.
But back to electric cars yeah they are just a drop in the ocean of whats to come.

We were pondering electric cars for the missus really short commute to work, but even spending a fair few thousand you still end up with hideous dinky cars that offer less protection than driving a cardboard box.

If only the Teslar was within our financial grasp!

Yeah.

I think I'd miss noise and drama of a petrol sports car though, I think I'd find myself going "ner, neeeer, neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow".

I think I better start recording the beasts exhaust note, that way I can play it back in my future electric car while dreaming of days gone by! :)

Yeah.

I think I'd miss noise and drama of a petrol sports car though, I think I'd find myself going "ner, neeeer, neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow".

I think I better start recording the beasts exhaust note, that way I can play it back in my future electric car while dreaming of days gone by! :)

But do you honestly want piped engine noises in the cabin? I really, really wouldn't like that. If I'm forced to drive a cowing electric car then I want straight cut gears & a see through hologram on the windscreen that makes it look like I'm jumping into hyperspace like I'm on the Millennium Falcon. :amuse:

I quite like the idea as long as the practicality is retained. I think there's a lot of work to do though. The running costs will be horrendous when battery packs have to replaced at 100,000 miles. And what happens to the old ones? Not so clever for the environment, after all !

The main reason that I have always hated electric cars is that they're UGLY!!!

Being one of those "horrible Americans" I don't really care much for fuel economy or being green. I want something that's a thrill to drive. When I get out at a nice restaurant and the girls start looking, I wanna know they think my car is hot and so am I. Then I brush my shoulders, straighten my jacket, give my wife my arm and walk in like a Boss.

Now with the chevy volt being not-too-bad looking, and the king of electric, the tesla roadster, I could almost see myself owning one. I do, however, agree that they need to be not so pricey and have someform of getting a better range. Like that honda car(would have to be better looking for me, but...)powered by a 200hp electric motor, but no batteries as it's charged by a hydrogen motor. Very cool. Now just make a 600hp version and you've got my attention!

How would you guys feel about a simulated petrol noise being added to these electric cars?

Personally, I would feel like a real poser if I'm driving an electric car with a simulated petrol engine sound.