Torque Cars

Golf - tech bulletin issued for rusty wings

Discussion in 'Golf' started by JimC64, 22 May 2012.

1. JimC64

JimC64 Newbie

Glasgow
    Car:
    Passat 1.9 Tdi
    Is this you??
    Is you car less than 12 years old??
    Please read on.....................

The corrosion issue is very well known and well documented. There are several threads with hundreds of replies from members with issues exactly the same as yours on vwaudiforum and also UKPassats as well as other sites too.

In those threads there are links, there is a copy of the tech bulletin issued worldwide by VW on 06th Nov 2009.

Do yourself a huge favour and check it out......there are various recommendations for the procedures to contact VW, what to say, claim against etc etc......

If you suffer from corrosion / rust at approx the 12 o clock position on your vehicle and its less than 12 years old, there's a very good chance that it should be covered under the 12 year anti perforation warranty. The tech bulletin clearly states the issue and the remedy.

I myself am currently fighting through this issue and have so far been asked to accept 70% contribution under their "Goodwill" which I have refused as I want 100% compensated for the issues caused by VW from when the vehicle was designed and manufactured from new.

Good luck

2. andymac

andymac Full member

here
    Car:
    Golf TDI 140/190
    Ive already gone through the vw process and in the end I gave up bought 2 new wings and got a friend to paint them for me.
    He is a spray painter and has been spraying BMW,Jag and VWs for 20+ years.
    The wings were £140 each and painting cost £120
    One thing I discovered when going through this prtocess are the 2 sponges in the wings which I believe vw place there to help reduce noise/vibration. These sponges as you can imagine soak up and hold water brilliantly. This along with the arch liner rubbing against the inner wing causes the rust
    I removed them both and found no difference at all to noise levels.
    I was speaking to another painter who recommended sticking some sound,noise reduction matting in place of the foam aslong as it didnt hold water
    ps the rust I had on both wings took less than 6 months to show through the paint
    I bought the car brand new in 2007 and apart from this issue nothing else has caused me concern.

3. Yugguy

Yugguy Torque King

Rugby (expat Preston lad)
    Car:
    Merc C220Cdi Elegan
    Does this count for Boras? My car is 10 years old but as far as I can tell doesnt have this issue.