FTO engine rant

jc denton

Track Warrior
Car
MR2
Just bought an FTO GPX MIVEC off the back of a tow truck. Its a bit of a shed but the engine is great, the tiptronic gearbox is great. I wonder why Mitsubishi never used this engine & gearbox setup in anything ells?!

I wish I could have this engine in my MR2 with a manual transmission:)

I vote that manufacturers should start remaking some of their much loved older cars & mixing & matching some engines around. Like the new Toyota 86 with a Subaru engine...

What car/engine/transmission mix ups would you like to see?

Putting a v6 in a mr2 is a common conversion

It has been done with single and twin turbos as well as supercharged and na motors.Also auto and manuals have been done

So you might well be able to do it but it would be so much easier to use one of the Toyota v6s and gearboxes as they definitely fit and everything will be so much simpler as they are the same make.

Equally Im sure mitsubishi did put the gto engine in other cars but they certainly would not have done so in any toyotas

OK, I have a slight problem. I was playing about in the FTO tother night when the fan belt failed. So I kept driving it with the battery going flatter & flatter & when I turned it off it wouldn't start again.

Next day a newly charged battery & fan belt...no start. It cranks, its got spark & fuel but it won't start.

I'm wondering if I've damaged something by running it on a flat battery?!

Just bought an FTO GPX MIVEC off the back of a tow truck. Its a bit of a shed but the engine is great, the tiptronic gearbox is great. I wonder why Mitsubishi never used this engine & gearbox setup in anything ells?!

I wish I could have this engine in my MR2 with a manual transmission:)

(personally speaking) I couldn't stand the MIVEC engine.. all noise and no real power.. I like the looks of the FTO, but was left completely unwhelmed by the the way it handled and the power plant.

Ollie

Putting a v6 in a mr2 is a common conversion

It has been done with single and twin turbos as well as supercharged and na motors.Also auto and manuals have been done

So you might well be able to do it but it would be so much easier to use one of the Toyota v6s and gearboxes as they definitely fit and everything will be so much simpler as they are the same make.

Equally Im sure mitsubishi did put the gto engine in other cars but they certainly would not have done so in any toyotas

Are you a Two Brutal member?

I have an engine converted (Mk1) Mr2..

Cheers

Ollie

Still haven't started the FTO:blink:

There doesn't seem to be power going to 2 of the 3 coil packs. So I'm thinking that running it on a flat battery has killed a sensor somewhere...

Figured it out...the crankshaft sensor is wonky, must have happened when the fan belt flew off.

Not an easy place to get to but I'm glad I've found the cause.

(The wire from the crank sensor is just kinda dangling next to the fan belt. Bit vulnerable really. Think I'm gonna cable tie it to something.)

Last edited: