Fitting a brake caliper upside down

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
The offside rear caliper on my Chevy Blazer has seized so I need a replacement. Best price so far is £120 plus vat. I have a spare caliper but it is for the near side. I thought....why not use it on the offside? The only difference is the location of the bleed screw. If I bleed the system with the caliper not mounted so I can hold it up the right way (nipple on top) and block the pads so the piston doesn't come out, it should work, shouldn't it?

I would be interested to know if this would work also? Not sure that it will, but I like surprises :)

The offside rear caliper on my Chevy Blazer has seized so I need a replacement. Best price so far is £120 plus vat. I have a spare caliper but it is for the near side. I thought....why not use it on the offside? The only difference is the location of the bleed screw. If I bleed the system with the caliper not mounted so I can hold it up the right way (nipple on top) and block the pads so the piston doesn't come out, it should work, shouldn't it?

It that is the only difference the should be fine. If you need to bleed the 'upside down' caliper at any point then just take it off, turn it over so the screw is high (don't distort the brake hose whilst doing so), and use a few bits of wood to make the piston(s) stay in place whilst bleeding that particular caliper.

Here's my 2-bits worth:

Please ensure that the thickness of the wood is slightly mored than the width of your disks, 'coz you otherwise need to pry them open after the bleed.

And if you are ok with sacrificing some brake fluid, I would suggest that you install the caliper , and then do the bleed, as that way, you do not leave anything to chance. all you need to do is ask someone to depress the brake pedal just so, that the fluid starts pouring out and quickly connect it to the caliper cylinder, this way you reduce the amount of air in the system.

Another thing if you are using the old pads, you may wanna ensure is that both the pads are placed in the same position they were before, as in the one on the inside stays inside and the outside on the outside.

That is in my limited knowledge, hence please overlook my boldness if I am wrong.

This way the wear on the pads will match the original seating, and prevent further loss of pad material and also mebbe fresh grooving/rots on the disc.

@ PoW, Well I for one certainly learn't a couple of things there, so thank you for that! :)

When it comes to this kind of thing though! OG has been there, done that, wrote the book, made the movie and worn out the T-shirt :bigsmile:

@ PoW, Well I for one certainly learn't a couple of things there, so thank you for that! :)

When it comes to this kind of thing though! OG has been there, done that, wrote the book, made the movie and worn out the T-shirt :bigsmile:

Well Thank you for your praise, you are too kind!

And I should have known better, than to open my mouth and put my foot in it.

Makes me wish I had joined you in the beginning, as I would then have learnt such a lot more, seeing as I learn every single day here.

And OG, I hope you understand that no offense was meant.....................?

:D :D :D :D

Well Thank you for your praise, you are too kind!

And I should have known better, than to open my mouth and put my foot in it.

Makes me wish I had joined you in the beginning, as I would then have learnt such a lot more, seeing as I learn every single day here.

And OG, I hope you understand that no offense was meant.....................?

:D :D :D :D

No offence taken :) Your suggestion re slightly wider wood is a good one. I will be replacing pads as they have just reached the metal (which is how I found out the caliper was seized- new pads lasted approx 300 miles!)

Don't think so. Take caliper off with piston on the inside, take it over the car in a big arc so it ends up upside down but with the piston still on the inside.

Don't think so. Take caliper off with piston on the inside, take it over the car in a big arc so it ends up upside down but with the piston still on the inside.

OK, got it now, I managed to get the rotation in the wrong plane.

That should be fine then, so long as the mountings are symmetrical and you take the caliper off to bleed it.

Chevy now back on the road. Swap worked. Using brake pipe clamp meant that very little bleeding was required and all seems OK. Back to working on the Elan :)