Faking car engine sounds

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
They indeed do exit one each side :)

VAG should fit pressure zone microphones to the outer edges of the rear bumper and supply a pair of line level feeds via a suitable preamp to the audio system so you can enjoy that stereophonic exhaust bark, at a volume level of your choice, with the windows tightly shut.

How's that for a mod?

{This was turning into an interesting discussion so I've snipped it to a new thread! - Waynne}

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Overtaking getting harder

VAG should fit pressure zone microphones to the outer edges of the rear bumper and supply a pair of line level feeds via a suitable preamp to the audio system so you can enjoy that stereophonic exhaust bark, at a volume level of your choice, with the windows tightly shut.

How's that for a mod?

That idea warrants a patents pending! :lol:

Stage 3 with a downpipe, remap, and uprated FMIC, Forge BOV etc... is night and day to stock.

Mine used to do 50-70 in 4.5 in 3rd, does it in 3.0 now.

Is a great engine - as long as you don't mind frequent trips to the petrol station.

no doubt, but worth it now....lol

How's that for a mod?

Sounds rather awesome to me, however I tend to prefer live music to a CD, if you know what I mean,

and in answer to your other question, apparently having the pipes crossed in the middle aid flow, no idea why but it does....

Sounds rather awesome to me, however I tend to prefer live music to a CD, if you know what I mean

@ Jarrus How much much live music is presented without sound reinforcement? Even acoustic and 'unplugged' sets still require amplification. This, too, obviously requires the use of microphones. The only exception will be a full complement symphony orchestra which can dish out quite enough acoustic energy without any help at all.

@ T9man - the PZM (boundary microphone) principle is already patented. Not for this application, I agree, but in this virtual and virtualised world in which we live it might be worth a thought.

My point really being that car stereos are no where near as goos as stage equipment though..... but it is a good idea and why not have a switchable exhaust?

My point really being that car stereos are no where near as goos as stage equipment though..... but it is a good idea and why not have a switchable exhaust?

I'm very familiar with live stage sound reinforcement, less so with exhaust systems.

Let's go further and just use physical modelling so that the car's audio equipment can emulate the sounds we like from the induction and exhaust

Artificial, yes, it is. But if it's aurally pleasing then why not?

Point well made, there are plenty of good sounds on youtube of TVR's

How about this for a plan then. Take a set of samples of various cars under various driving situations and then use ECU data to decide what sound to play under what conditions?

That actually sounds like a brilliant idea,

I for one would have a look into something like this, you would need samples from a car of your choice at all engine speeds and when changing gear and idle

You'd need a good ICE setup to get the low end response accurate with good pitch definition, not just booming noises.

With a good set of well recorded audio samples which can be manipulated in real time there might just be a niche market for this.

The audio processing s/w could select the most appropriate sample for given throttle position and engine speed. Next, the software could 'tune' its chosen sample 'loop' to match the revs and throttle opening much more closely.

It's not out of the realms of possibility in this year, 2010.

It could also make use of existing anti-noise technology which is often used in noise cancelling headphones etc. to make the car nearly silent whenever you want it to be silent.

At a push seat by seat customisation should be possible with head-restraint mounted transducers (speakers) so that each occupant can have their own chosen environment.

Audio virtualisation is not new, but it's coming of age now.

Anyone want to discuss further?

I remember getting a casette tape of supercars doing laps of Silverstone (interior recordings with engine,exhaust and tyre squeels) and I used to play this loud inside my Nova! (Oh, the simple pleasures of Youth!)