EVO 4 max speed

M

mikejwk

i'm looking at buying an evo 4 for track days but concerned about top speed. I realise all evos prior to 7 are imports and arrive with top speed limiter set at 112 mph. This can be easily removed but does anyone know what this car, in standard form, will then do? Road tests seem to indicate 3000 rpm in 5th gives about 62mph (100kph) so the question is what will this car pull in 5th gear - if only 6000rpm then top speed would be about 125mph but will it actually pull more - sy 7000 rpm to get to 150mph - more like what is needed on a track?

I would think with the bhp on tap you could pull taller gears all through the 'box with ease.

Let's face it, there's plenty of stock ordinary family cars that pull nearly 140mph - even a mediocre Vectra SRi is good for over 130mph.

The speed limiter can be easily removed. The best mods for an Evo would be a boost controller, remap and hybrid turbo this could see in the region of 400-600 bhp depending on how aggresive you set the mods. The Evo is a great track day weapon and you will not be dissapointed. On track days it is the handling and acceleration which make the difference rather than having a high top speed, so tweak it for max BHP get the limiter removed and you can start having fun.