Engine rebuilds

swompy

Tuner
Car
VW Corrado, 2lt 16v
Just want to get an idea of cost for an engine rebuild.

My car has nearly covered 90,000K and is almost 16 years old and I’m loosing oil some where :( but no blue smoke, mayo or any oil spots on the ground.

Would it be wise to just get the head rebuilt or the bottom rebuilt or all over it?

Also roughly what sort of cost would I be looking at for each one of these.

Thanks in advance

O the car is a VW Corrado 2lt 16v

If you just dumped your car there and let them sort it you're probably looking at £500 for the head or £2k for the bottom end as rough figures. A lot of that's labour though. For example, You can get a 16v head recon'd for a couple of hundred if you remove it, strip out the old valves and refit it.

Don't fix what ain't broke!

Thanks for the budy.

I'm not to worryed about it as I know it is a old car and will have oil leeks, but I plan to keep this car for a very long time as I belive it will become a classic, so want to keep it in tip top condition.

So the best (cheapest :D ) bet would be to get a reconditioned head and fit that.

Thanks once again

It cost me £750 for new rings and a bit of head work and a complete strip down and rebuild on an engine.

A lot depends on how much work needs doing to the engine once it is stripped. Sometimes you will need new pistons and crank othertimes these are within tolerances an only need a little machining.

Don't skimp. If the head is off and the engine is out then get it balanced and blueprinted and fit high quality parts. The more you do to it the better it will be and it is a lot cheaper than doing it in separate stages.

Let's simplify this. Does the engine actually need rebuilding? 90,000 miles is nothing for a well maintained engine.

It could be a simple oil leak. There will not be any oil spots on the ground if the engine undertray is in position.

Does it need rebuilding? Probably not. Like I said was only getting a rough idea.

No the car doesnt have a undertray.

Each week I have to top up the oil and its fallen about 1cm or so on the dip stick. But cant work out where it is going :(

But the car runs just like new and has nothing visibly wrong with it and would like to get to the bottom of it sooner than later.

Preaty much the same since I brought it, some times it will go through more some times less.

but there never seams to be anything to conect why it needs more some week then others.

My current engine burns oil. There are no leaks, it just burns it, but there is no smoke, sounding like your motor. It sounds like, and dont quote me on this, your rings needs to be replaced....i couldnt give you an accurate price since i am in the states. But like Wayne said....since its apart...might as well rebuild it well...valves rings ext.

Piston rings for a guess. My old V6 used to use a bit of oil but that was becasue I upped the compression with all the mods that the burn cycle was stronger there for burnt off the oil in the engine quicker with the ignition cycle.