Engine or exhaust noise

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you prefer to hear the engine or the exhaust?

I love the sound of an engine at full chat, as long as it has a nice roar to it. I suppose induction noise is the biggest proportion of this.

I know that a lot of people prefer the sound of the exhaust and seem to equate noise with power.

My Theory -(This is probably a throw back to the early days where cars didn't have effective silencers. I've noticed that Jap cars tend to have quieter exhausts probably because their early cars were all equipped with silencers. So I guess this might be a cultural/age thing!)

My GTO has a system from each turbo and twin air filters, one to each turbo. This gives a lovely rumble from the exhaust and the roar from the intakes when you give it some right foot.

Some exhaust noise can kill a cars image if done poorly. For me it is more induction, I miss my HSX Chevette roaring on its open twin 48's, nothing like it! Then again I reckon the MG Metro 6R4 had one of the best exhaust noises going. The 5 pot Audi Quattro Turbo also had a distinct engine note.

I like both so a nice switchable exhaust would be nice for town and motorway driving. Alot of Monaros have them fitted at Wortec.