Engine mount issue on the Beast

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
OK, so over the weekend I started to feel an abnormal amount of vibration coming from the engine. I took it into the garage this morning for the lads to take a look at it for me. They deduced that it was the top engine mount which is actually an oil filled damping system.

enginemount.jpg

Apparently the power of the engine has proved to much for it. So bearing in mind that the original has coped with 100K miles, they have replaced it with a brand new direct replacement version which hopefully will be good and up to the task in hand.
The other three engine mounts have been replaced with new poly bush versions, so wondering whether this may have contributed to the damper one going U/S on me or whether it was just it's time?

Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to strengthen the top mount or should I just keep an eye on it for the moment? :blink:

Probably just age, you could mount an additional damper at the back of the engine to help the resist the engine trying to turn around it's own driveshafts. RWD cars use them to stop the engine lurching violently to one side under hard acceleration.

Here's an example below...

Attachments

• nengun-1508-00-jsracing-engine_torque_damper.jpg
    nengun-1508-00-jsracing-engine_torque_damper.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
That looks like just the thing I need to aid the other damper! May I ask where I can get hold off one of these please Loz? :amuse:

I couldn't say with any confidence where to get one from, but I'd look at the useual suspects like Demon Tweeks, Merlin ect. Other than that maybe a word with the boys who do the work on your car might be fruitful. :D

I shall check out Demon's in a while and also take a look at Merlin's! I did ask the question of the boys, but they too will have to do some research on it as this is the most powerful car that they have built to-date! :)

I'm refreshing my engine mounts before I fit the 'charger. The extra power can cause them to go on any car, not to mention the 'extra' you've got. I'd imagine new ones will cope fine but prevention is better than cure.

when I forged my engine the tuner fitted uprated engine mounts as a must so it isnt a "fault" as such on yours more another one of those neccessary upgrades .

I was told I didnt need a damper but of course this will vary from one car to another

Lol. I'm sure whatever T9 goes for, you can guarantee it'll look the part.:D

Cheers Loz, I have seen that these type of dampers seem to be used quite extensively in Japanese performance cars. I think I need to do a little more research on this later on today when I am not so rushed.
The addition of the new damper must look like it was meant to be there instead of looking like an after thought installation - which it is I know; but I do try wherever possible to try & achieve the factory fitted look. ;)