Engine Brake vs the Foot Pedals

Eclaire

Wrench Pro
Car
Daihatsu Storia
Which do you use for stopping? Which is better? I have heard in some places that it is better to use the engine brake than the regular brakes, and from other places that the regular brakes are better. Which is it?

For me, I generally use the engine brake and foot brakes together, though I have heard engine brake is better for slippery situations so the wheels don't lock up.

What do you think?

Which do you use for stopping? Which is better? I have heard in some places that it is better to use the engine brake than the regular brakes, and from other places that the regular brakes are better. Which is it?

For me, I generally use the engine brake and foot brakes together, though I have heard engine brake is better for slippery situations so the wheels don't lock up.

What do you think?

in the ice/snow earlier this year i was going down a hill in 1st and then noticed the car infront was having some trouble (he put it in reverse???)
so in a panic i dipped the clutch (worse mistake i could have made!!) and tried to brake i bounced of the curb 3 times:embarrest: but if i had kept my whits about me i could have avoided this by not dipping the clutch:embarrest:
so in answer to your question yes in slippy situations using the gears to control/slow the car is best imho!

I think in normal conditions cars with ABS, doesn't really matter, wheels don't lock up in that case with the foot brake. Yeah icy condition definitely use the engine if you can.
I use both too, specially coming upto roundabouts. Though I do prefer to use the brake if I can, as I consider it less wear on the engine (in my mind hehe).

PS. herb I love your signature lol. Brilliant.