Drivers are just too close

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I went for a 10 mile bike ride today! :D (High moral ground to me!) Any how. I stopped over a dual carriage way and just stopped to look at the cars.

It was actually quite shocking how close the cars were to each other. I always remember those "2 second rule" adverts and I counted less than a second distance between most of the cars.

I am suprised we do not have more pileups on our roads. Driving close is one think but driving within your thinking distance let alone your braking distance is suicidal.

Do you think you drive too close to the car in front. What methods do you employ to keep you at a safe distance.

quite often drive too close to the car in front, more so where we take off - more a case of im on the go quicker than them. generally just slacken off to build a gap of around 2-3 car lenghs

its ok to keep some distance, ie. the 2 second rule, when the roads not to busy but when driving on the last evening of a bank holiday weekend between Birmingham and London its almost impossible, if you leave a space some bugger jumps into it. But in general i dont like tailgating (although do tend to get into this coming off roundabouts/traffic lights) and being tailgated, usually switch on the rear fogs first to give then a scare, if this doesnt work i just hammer the brakes on.

There were some people going like 10mph in a 30mph limit, so I overtook them, then when in front of them, slowed right down to 5mph or even lower and they couldn't overtake because there were cars coming the other way, Priceless! :lol::amuse:

I'm no fan of tailgating, and I hate being followed closely - but the muppets doing 20 in a 50 really get on my wick. Followed one last night down the lanes from Sittingbourne... 25 in a 60.

Its amazing. I've much more 'force' to make people let me past or speed up when im in the Land Rover. Despite the fact im no more likely to hit them, people do seem to fear the height of a 4x4 filling in their back window alot more.

it really pisses me off when people drive right up your ***... i had it all the time on the bike when i was on a 30 or 40 zone...doing the speed limit

i simple idea i had was i shorten the cable that puts my brake light on, so i only had to put on a bit of pressure and my light will come on but the brakes didnt, so when they was really closed i put the light on and they go "o ****" and dont get so close to you again.

worked well and means they are a bit far behind me so if i did have to brake i dont have 1/5tn of car in my bake. I dont seem to get a big as problem in the skoda or the van.

i will admit i used to tail gate when i was young and unexperiansed until 1 day on the motorway doing around 90mph in the outside lane not paying to much attention and the traffic came to a standstill i broke but wasnt slowing down enough so i swerved towards the barrier luckily wide enough gap to squeeze down and i actually stopped dead level with the driver who was infront and he looked at me called me a #!#!#!#!ing d!ckhead with probably the most disgusted look i have ever seen (and hope to ever see)
but this experiance tought me a lesson and i have not talgated since that day

and yes i know how stupid i was and how lucky i was not to kill myself or any other driver :embarrest:

i think we can all say that "only a fool brakes the two second rule" as a min spaceing!

it save you money on fuel to just ease back a bit...
there is a time and a place to be going fast!

Last edited:
I'm only a child :)

It doesn't matter, I wasn't doing anything wrong, it's perfectly legal :)

I agree with your point if they're going needlessly slowly. Sometimes there might be a reason, have a good look first before you commit to a swift passing move.

I, too, get peed off with it but having got past safely it seems silly to slow down again.

And the temptation is there. I, too, have been tempted. it can be hard to resist getting your own back I know.

But just put your mind in superior mode - ignore any light flashing and hooting, gesticulations etc and get on with your jourmey at a speed you feel is appropriate. and get on with your day and your life. Don't waste it on twits who can't be bothered to get on with theirs.

They're not you're problem and you won't change 'em by reacting.

I wouldn't anchor up, but you'll find it very annoying being held down to 5mph!

That's the way to do it - if the bastard behind only leaves two yards between you, slow down until two yards are the correct distance.

Funny thing though, driving. We all, at some stage or another think "Look at that prat" but how many of us think "Wow, there's a guy over there who's a better driver than me"?

Surely, someone must be a better driver than me - how come I never spot them?

Too busy 'prat-spotting' and giving them the 'benefit of my experience' I guess!.

Last edited:
Nightwhite, actually the closer you are the more fuel you can save - although would not advocate tailgating. near my house their is a village that has a 30mph limit that is at the start of a lengthy straight - often in the last 300yards of the limit you get a lot of people tailgating, when they realise your keeping to the limit (never being one to speed in a 30 zone) they start to try and overtake - but as soon as i hit the 30mph sign i just put the foot down and they are usually left on the wrong side of the road.

Nightwhite, actually the closer you are the more fuel you can save - although would not advocate tailgating. near my house their is a village that has a 30mph limit that is at the start of a lengthy straight - often in the last 300yards of the limit you get a lot of people tailgating, when they realise your keeping to the limit (never being one to speed in a 30 zone) they start to try and overtake - but as soon as i hit the 30mph sign i just put the foot down and they are usually left on the wrong side of the road.

• the closer you are the more fuel you can save
easeing back on the trotel so that you are not tailgaiting will allow less fuel into the engine thus saveing fuel...
  • i hit the 30mph sign i just put the foot down and they are usually left on the wrong side of the road
that is very dangroes, if someone is going to overtake you for what ever reason as soon as they are commited you should alow them room, that is how people die! and slowy geting up from 30-60 will use less fuel again, flooring it will burn fuel.

just geting from work and back i try and ease back and drive safey, ofc on a open road when it is safe to do so i open it up and really push it...
tailgateing uses more fuel as you tened to be more hard on the throtell, and is very dangerous and it doesnt get you anywhere exepxt for a huge bill when you need to redo the hole front of you car cus the car in front stoped or you killed the freind next to you becuase again the car infront had to brake hard. always allow space!

stop getting your panties twisted, this was a technical comment first of all that saw proved on mythbusters - the closer to the vehicle in front the more aerodynamic - i no way said that i recommened this practise.
in regards to the second part - "it is very dangerous", this is up to those overtaking, the road is a 1.5mile straight, if another vehicle was approaching then of course it would be ludicrous to make a problem but frankly overtaking in a 30mph zone with oncoming traffic if it is so close you would have to nail it to get out of the potential accident that would be being caused by the fool trying to go past you? What would you do, slow down let them in and then end up smashed all over the road because the oncoming traffic hit the corner of the car that overtook you?
Fuel economy, actually have tried driving easily and tried driving heavily but frankly in a Scooby seems to make little difference - so might as well have fun!
Again - your final point, tailgating using more fuel, i have to disagree if the car is the same size or larger (not sure about smaller vehicles) as the air would flow smoother you would be in the "hole" thats created by the vehicle in front.

stop getting your panties twisted, this was a technical comment first of all that saw proved on mythbusters - the closer to the vehicle in front the more aerodynamic - i no way said that i recommened this practise.
in regards to the second part - "it is very dangerous", this is up to those overtaking, the road is a 1.5mile straight, if another vehicle was approaching then of course it would be ludicrous to make a problem but frankly overtaking in a 30mph zone with oncoming traffic if it is so close you would have to nail it to get out of the potential accident that would be being caused by the fool trying to go past you? What would you do, slow down let them in and then end up smashed all over the road because the oncoming traffic hit the corner of the car that overtook you?
Fuel economy, actually have tried driving easily and tried driving heavily but frankly in a Scooby seems to make little difference - so might as well have fun!
Again - your final point, tailgating using more fuel, i have to disagree if the car is the same size or larger (not sure about smaller vehicles) as the air would flow smoother you would be in the "hole" thats created by the vehicle in front.

It's called slipstreaming buddy.

indeed, but it surealy does not add that much fuel eco? compaired to your driveing style what is 40-60% difference?

behind a truck supposedly the fuel saving is exponential - when you are very very close, the savings are huge - but not worth risking your life for

behind a truck supposedly the fuel saving is exponential - when you are very very close, the savings are huge - but not worth risking your life for

Yes, I suppose in theory it's possible to get some advantage from slip-streaming AND keeping a safe distance, but it needs to be something big and blunt like a double-decker, an artic or a removal van. But then who wants to be behind one of those for long, limited as they are to 50-odd mph? I tried it once when I had five hours to get from London to Macclesfield in very early morning traffic. Yes I achieved 60 mpg from a 2.0l 150bhp (petrol)* engine, but did I enjoy the drive? Guess.

*(My diesel 2.0l does this approx. without much effort nowadays)

The other drawback is that once the inevitable traffic jam in the nearside lane kicks in at crowded motorway junctions, you're the one who can't see round the vehicle in front and everyone else streams past you from way back down the queue, probably wasting all or some of your fuel savings. Let's face it, there's just too many of us. In effect we've already got a kind of road-pricing; travelling in the rush hour costs you more in fuel. :mad:

they are limited to 56mph (90kph) as the EU says it is the most eco speed. but a artic unloaded can reach 90mph! but only if it hasnt got a governer in it...what is illgale if it us being used for commerial use...what is 99% of them :p

its nothing to do with the economy of the engine at 56 miles an hour its more trying to stop something that weighs 40 ton.

90mph unloaded, christ ive been in one that was loaded and managed 80 that was just over 39 ton

i will admit i used to tail gate when i was young and unexperiansed until 1 day on the motorway doing around 90mph in the outside lane not paying to much attention and the traffic came to a standstill i broke but wasnt slowing down enough so i swerved towards the barrier luckily wide enough gap to squeeze down and i actually stopped dead level with the driver who was infront and he looked at me called me a #!#!#!#!ing d!ckhead with probably the most disgusted look i have ever seen (and hope to ever see)
but this experiance tought me a lesson and i have not talgated since that day

and yes i know how stupid i was and how lucky i was not to kill myself or any other driver :embarrest:
You must say I, as a capital. lol

If we all followed the rules of the road! There would not be a problem! However! There are so many cars these days, that we simply have to pretend we are a blood cell, flowing in to the vien, or the artery. Following the Highway Code, would simply cause mayhem, and a lot of frustrated drivers/ riders.

You must say I, as a capital. lol

you sarky fecker i know my written english is not proper but i have openly admitted in previous threads my written english is not very good (just take a massive deep breath and you should be ok :lol:) but at least its not text speak :toung::amuse:

Hello Herb. I see the black car, that you long to own. It appears to be a serious 80's car, looks good though. What car is it? It looks like an Audi Quatro to me???? I do (However), fear that this car, may cause mass pollution, as it is cruising down the motorway! I can smell the petrol through my vents now, as it is blowing me away. Maybe you should consider a bio fuel car, with 800cc. lol. You could keep the black beast, in your garage, for viewing only.;) Or maybe not. hahaha. I do like the 80's lines though.