Door Lock on Car

Puntopimp

Track Warrior
Car
1.8 TDCI Ford S-Max
Hi guys

one of the small number of things to sort on the car is I have a problem with 2 locks on the Car the driver side and boot you stick the key in and it will not budge for love or money.

The passenger side works perfectly!

Will I need to replace the whole Cylinder or play with the Central Locking Wires?

If it's the drivers side then it is probably worn badly. Is it the key that is worn? Have you tried the other key? Sometimes worn keys work well in hardly used locks but in worn locks they are useless.

Also try wiggling and vibrating the key as you turn it.

If you change barrels you'll need to change them all. Try a breakers yard for a set of locks. DIY motorist in Deal might have some.

Both keys don't work but its strange with the key its got the normal bit with an additional piece of metal added to the Key groves mate.

Never heard of those guys but its the boot and Drivers side.

Whip the interior door trims off and spray the locks with a can of penetrating oil both inside and outside (Cover the outside area of the lock surround with masking tape and plastic sheeting so that the oil does not discolour the paint work). When you buy the can make sure it has the extension plastic tube with it to help get the oil into the small lock gaps. Keep putting the key in the locks and jiggle them about to help work the oil into the crevices. Also keep moving the internal lock mechanism while the oil is trying to do it's thing. Before you start using the oil, start off using a hot air gun on the inside of the lock by gently blowing the hot air onto the lock first.

One can of penetrating oil is much cheaper than replacement locks, so this should be the first thing to try. Do not be impatient as the oil may take an hour or so to be effective.