diesels coming to Daytona 24hrs race

Ronbros

Torque Junkie
Car
opel-isuzu 1.8 turb
Mazda is bringing a 2.2L turbo diesel ,Mazda6, for the Rolex 24hrs of Daytona race!

they have been practicing trials ,just this week, time will tell, they going up against some tough competion, likes of Porsche,Ferrari, and other cars of the Grand-Am series!

i hope to be there , but i'm stuck in Texas at the moment.

ron

well it looks like the mazda race cars, aint gonna do much ,without more(lots more)development, the 2 cars racing,2.2L twinturbo,sedans, both overheated, or lost cooling fluids.

i suspect head sealing problems, 2 turbos = lot of boost for the very long hispeed straights!

but it is a 1st for diesel cars at Rolex 24hrs daytona, Audi wanted to bring there R15-18 diesel cars ,but they were banned,even for testing! go figure!!

so far in DP fast class, BMWs killing all. and who else but Porsche in GT class, tomorrow it will end at 3pm EST.

Corvette guys are very unhappy,they made them put on a smaller restrictor, after qualifing faster than BMWs,, go figure that one too! GM aint to happy, could be politics(oh my,not in racing),hehe.

ron

for some perspective of the daytona track including the infield road course.

back in the time of porsche 917s they had top speeds on the long back straight of around 200-210mph, limited by tyres mostly.

so come up to 2001, same track, but modern tyres,brakes, and developments, but with Can-AM cars and F5000, cars, top speeds were measured at over 250mph on straights.

track owners were very upset,along with insurance providers, that was it, nothing like that will be allowed again.

and this so called fast class is only doing 190-200 on the same track(that has just been
repaved with the best asphalt available).

i was there for the 2001 testing and having fun, no serious racing , and absolutly no 917s, nobody with enough b@#ls to chance the money,value!
probably nobody there could make them run or tune them??

ron

BMW won overall fast DP class,as expected. Corvettes right behind tho,close race.

not much talk about having to reduce Corvette air restrictor size??

Audi finally did win GT class, 1 and 2 ,ferrari 3rd because 3rd Audi ran out of fuel, very impressive, Porsche did OK till the end of race then just slowed, it seems the Porsche dominance is finally coming to and end, audi stepped up to the competition and dominated th GT class

I'm just excited that diesel cars are starting to be introduced here. The only diesel car for the US market so car are the VW Jetta and Golf TDI, the recently announced Chevrolet Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel, and the Mazda 6 diesel.

HI, HDi fun,, yes we do get BMW diesels, along with Mercedes, and VW.

and myself, i am searching for a BMW X5 3.0L twin turb. 2009-2012 ,at the right price of course!

well the 12hrs of SEBRING is over , Audi Diesels kicked butt, and decimated the competition,

like diesel was 5 laps ahead of the closest petrol car, AUDI 1 &2, they brought over 2 cars and they walked away from the rest!

already the race officials are talking Audi restrictions.

the diesels just purr along a low RPMs, and the petrol scream trying to keep up, guess which will last the longest??

Ron