Diagnostic Checks

Rstra

Wrench Pro
Car
Passat 1.9TDi
As some of you know, starting mobile service, I have unexpectedly managed to find a garage to use so I can do mobile and work in my own garage.

I'm looking into doing diagnostic checks and getting all the tools and software now. Need to do my research about it though, I am getting a laptop for it. Basically, what do I need, is there just 1 program for most cars? 1 program per car? same with leads? Any tips or help...? Thanks

2001 onward petrols and 2004 onward diesels will have all an OBD2 port. My 2001 year model diesel actually had one of these but this is an exeptional case.

OBD2 is more than just a plug/socket arrangement, there are many fault codes which are industry (ISO) standard. These can be read by any proprietary (off the shelf) ODB2 interface.

Sadly, as with many proprietary arrangements and sets of protocols, the manufacturers choose to create their own model specific codes, thus securing a strong demand for license fees for using such software to interpret these car specific codes.

This mentality is not restricted to automotive applications. It's been around for years in the data comms industry.

Why do all participants commit to, and contribute money to, the standardisation of practice when the next step for all of them is to de-standardise it?

there is not one software that does them all or we all would have them
at work we use the snap on solus pro
is ok but there is better

part co or unipart what ever they call them selfs now do a great one
cheaper then the snap on one does a lot more cars and can do more program wise
will try and find it for you

We have a Launch and although it's o.k. it's certainly not worth the money. Even with the updates it struggles at times. The new Snap-on one, now that will be good and they have very good back up tech.

We have found with the Launch that half of the stuff we plug it into all it does is tell which ECU is present and that's it.
The problem we all face is that there isn't one system which will suit all, or at least not at the price range which is worthwhile for a smaller garage, let alone someone starting out in the industry.
I think it's worth getting demos from the various reps to find which one is best suited to the appliance that it is going to be used for.
All of these companies will give free demos, don't be hurried into parting with your cash as it's a big chunk for a boxed case of electronics.

ya is one think you need to look around for took us years to get one
and only reason we did same as every garage has its the way the trade has gone you need a system to read the codes and not much you can do with out one

we only went with snap on cos my boss was lazy and snap on is the only people that come round to us

but do see a lot of demos and one thing that most fail on still are read jap cars, volvo and saab, and kia ect