davalavs D turbo

Hey all,

Right... I have been a member almost a year now and none of you have seen my 'Ride', well that's about to change...

I am sure your thinking... " Why is starting a project thread? He hasn't passed his test! " I haven't, no. But I can't see why that should stop me? I'd mainly like to cover a few bits and bobs, mainly cosmetic at the moment. Eventually when I do pass, I'll start the tuning.

Okay... So here she is

Attachments

• 306 Blaze Yellow.jpg
    306 Blaze Yellow.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 18
  • 247944_2103858523895_1468454760_32419517_7303525_n.jpg
    247944_2103858523895_1468454760_32419517_7303525_n.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 247509_2103858883904_1468454760_32419518_999766_n.jpg
    247509_2103858883904_1468454760_32419518_999766_n.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 6
Proper job mate, doing any body work fills me with utter horror I tried spraying a simple part black the other week & made a right pigs ear of it! :lol:

Proper job mate, doing any body work fills me with utter horror I tried spraying a simple part black the other week & made a right pigs ear of it! :lol:

Indeed, I took four attempts at spraying one of my engine mounts black not too long ago :embarrest: I now appreciate the great skill that a professional/talented sprayer has to offer :bigsmile:

If i ever attempt anything i mostly get professional advice before hand, but fortunetly i am not scared of cocking it up, i can always do it again, afterall, at my tender age, i still soak information up like a sponge! :lol:

Thanks for the kind comments, i really appreciate it! :)

And here is that nasty rust patch! It was about the size of 1 and half sheets of A4 paper.

Now completly sealed up!! A stainless steel plate was welded in, it was rather thick, then 3 coats of fibre glass helped neaten it up!

Attachments

• P03-09-12_18.46.jpg
    P03-09-12_18.46.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 9
Also got round to adding this.... Been using it for a week or so before I went to France.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• WP_000194.jpg
    WP_000194.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 12
Right attempted a stage 1 tune yesterday and today. Added some more fuel today and it was smoking big time. reduced it a bit and it seems more tidy and less smoke.

Here is yesterdays tune.

Erm.... How do you add videos?

In the mean time.... I painted my badge matte black! :)

So a course of sanding down, priming then first coat then final coat. Will get a picture of it on the car tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• Photo0164.jpg
    Photo0164.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Photo0165.jpg
    Photo0165.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo0166.jpg
    Photo0166.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 6
Seriously need to get behind the engine and look at this bleedin turbo of mine. The psi has not changed at all. May just wait till the weekend to have a look. Its pretty quick for what it is.

Okay.... So now I am boosting at around, as I found out in 5th gear 22 psi..... Which is a lot. So I may dim the wastegate arm.

But on a more recent venture into my engine I discovered oil all around the intercooler seal a few days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 6
So.... For those wanting to convert to a FMIC, Here is a quick guide on taking the TMIC off. To progress further you will eaither need an adapter made for the crappy inlet, or get a NA inlet from a xantia engine which helps the FMIC piping.

In the first picture there is a large allen key head as you can see. Undo it and its about 4 inches long.

Second picture there are 2 more, same size allen head. Both around 2 - 3 inches long, make sure you remember where they went!

Next thing to do is remove the boost line from the front of the intercooler using a screw driver to undo the clamp. then Just pull it off. to the left of the intercooler there is another pipe, undo the clamp ready.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 4
Then... Lift the IC off and look on the bottom of it. You'll see a rubber ring. ( if your putting the top mount back on like I am) Simply clean it up and with the replacement which costed me £3.12 from ebay, and put all back together! That should stop any leaks or loss in boost and it actually made my turbo spool a little bit earlier! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
oil in the intercooler is common on all turbo engines, more on diesels. its due to the EGR putting the sooty oily exhaust gas back through the inlet, and the fact the seals in the turbo will allow a small amount of oil passed

oil in the intercooler is common on all turbo engines, more on diesels. its due to the EGR putting the sooty oily exhaust gas back through the inlet, and the fact the seals in the turbo will allow a small amount of oil passed

The seal does also help with holding PSI. Hence why I changed it.

But yeah, found that out te hardway... Tipped it upside down and a small amoutn of oil came out and all over my trouser. :embarrest:

Hopefully when I do a FMIC conversion, I'll remove the whole EGR assembaly.

Been rather busy as of late... Cosmestically anyway. Found out my car was a CAT C write off about 6 years ago....Any way...

532235_4924944489281_1487749271_n.jpg

New boot, from a ph3 gti6 with tints and de wipered. Looks quite cool!

319047_4924940129172_162748878_n.jpg

Front bumper which isnt colour coded, which for some reason doesnt fit properly. I think it maybe something to do with the slam panel not lining up, will sort it out on Saturday, and new ph3 crystal lights!

Last edited:
Plus oil in the in the inlet, if you have to top up the oil regular then it's a problem, but if you don't then I wouldn't worry about it...

Did you disconnect your egr?

Plus oil in the in the inlet, if you have to top up the oil regular then it's a problem, but if you don't then I wouldn't worry about it...

Did you disconnect your egr?

Disconnected the solenoid..... When I do my FMIC next month.... I am going to remove the whole thing! :) Oil is fine mate.... Just the D seal was broken and thought I'd replace it.

Pulled out of a rounda bout and shifted to 2nd. It started to rattle a little and whine, and thought well thats the AUX belt slipping. I shall find a place to pull over and take a look. Then shifted to 3rd coming off the round about and it started making awful noises, as if something was grinding, and rattling and thought.... Oh no... Theres the timing belt gone! managed to pull over, took a look under the bonnet and low and behold....AUX belt had slipped and possibly knocked the timing belt a few teeth too... hence the awful noises. Had to leave it parked up as HSBC requires a billion codes before I can access my phone account to get a tow truck as they cover it. Oz I am so sad! :(

That's terrible news Dave :sad2: I feel your pain buddy; her indoors says she is sending you a kiss and a big hug bless her ;)

Thanks for the support! The bond between man and first car is an emotional one! Just went to pick up my audio from the car and some other bits, and I feel so sorry for it. She looked so upset!