Custom Turbo Project

Well, I couldn't help myself when I found this score;
Universal Intercooler 600wX300hX115thick (core sizes wider with the caps)
on Ebay to add to my parts list for the Turbo setup I want to put in my;
95' VS 3.8l V6 Ecotec Holden Commodore.
I'm not sure if there's many VS's getting around with turbo's.
There would be some with Super charger setups but not many (if any???) that run from exhaust system.
This sytem will be built to a budget so I'll be making my own headers to fit the turbo's. I'm thinking stainless pipe @ 35 to 40mm?? for setion to turbo from the exhaust ports. Then 50mm down through the Ypeice.

For the turbo's I have 2 TC06's but with O/sized impellers. I have 1 ready with a 50/70 impeller + housing inlet & exit enlarged. Still have 1 to O/size.

I will also port the Heads and considering these lower compression pistons:idea: Plus I have concaved shaped Turbo valves. May aswell go all out to drop the comp down to suit the turbo's :)
see the size difference of the 50/70 Impeller compared to the stock 30/50 size

Will add more pics and stuff once thread is srarted as computer is playing up.
Thats the Intercooler on top of my current engine, (Massive) It's going to be a challenge to fit it in front of the radiator.

Attachments

• IC size comp.jpg
    IC size comp.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IC115Thick.jpg
    IC115Thick.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 7
  • LCpiston.jpg
    LCpiston.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Turbo impeller stock to OS comp.jpg
    Turbo impeller stock to OS comp.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'll get some more pics up today. Plus give a list of all the mods I've done and will be adding.
Includes an NVRAM upgrade to go for on the fly tuning.
Soldered in a USB Communications board to the ECU so I can plug into the laptop.
Get someone to drive while I tune a bit here and there.
At the moment thought I'm still finishing off the "ADAPTED" flywheel setup and converting from AUTO to MANUAL T5 5 spd.
I'll get it going with that first and then start on the turbo work.
If anyone plans to change to manual from auto in a 3800 BUICK engine setup
I seriously suggest you do some homework first ( I found out the hard way by starting on the job first, now I'm still doing it due to the extra funds needed). The crankshaft is externally balanced to the flywheel and Harmonic balancer. To convert you need to EXACTLY match the offset balance on the flex plate to the flywheel. Even then it's an "IFFY" aproach and you could get dammaging vibrations that take out the rear main bearing.
I can't afford the crank balancing approach right now so that's why I'll just get the car running first and see what it's like for balance( Ihave approximately matched the Flywheel to the old flex plate that came from the engine by removing the counter balance weight from the FLEX P and located it to the FLYWHEEL). Then I'll do up the spare engine and balance that to the flywheel (and the flex plate that goes with that engine).GM engine are a pain.
The balancing alone will come to around $400. AUD. Still to find out how much it will cost me to balance the turbo's once they're ready.

Things are VERY SLOWLY progressing.
I bought 6 meters worth of 3 inch aluminium pipe to use for the intercooler setup.
Instead of buying the pre-bent kits as I get HEAPS more pipe for heaps less cash.
$134 for 3 lengths at 2 meters. (though will need to buy a couple of silicone hoses and clamps to finish it)
I was looking at the kits where you get 6 lengths of pipe with 2 having a U bend,
2 with 45 degree angles and 2 straight peices but they are all only around 300 to 400mm lengths. Though they do give some clamps and hoses but that at $200 give or take.

(My idea is to have enough to make 2 sets and once the jobs done I'll sell the second as a ready to fit kit for the commodore EcoTec engine/ or buick 3.8l V6)
I am crying though as I was looking at my second turbo housing (exhaust/ cast Iron side??) and it is cracked through to the outside. It's only a hairline crack but I will have to source another turbo. I have finally decded which way to go with the positions for the Turbo's.
The holden has no room in the engine bay on the drivers side due to the ABS and brake booster but passenger side has just enough room to fit.
I will set up 1 turbo there and manufacture the header to suit the application.
The second will fit underneath the car just before the CAT. I will make another Y-piece
to suit so that I will be using the exhaust flow from the drivers side for that second turbo then the pipes can join together straight after that turbo and into my 3" CAT converter. (its 3" because I got it off ebay for $10 and is a high flow from a Subaru WRX)
I picked up some 16mm metal plate from the local metal yard for a $3 donation to their charity drive!! and pain stakingly took to cutting out the shape for the flange with a 9" grinder. Yep thats primitive but I dont have an oxy handy plus I didn't want to heat the metal up that hot. I have a stick welder that is 3 in 1 but don't have the attatchment yet for plasma cutting. I'm pretty good with grinders and stuff anyway so it has come up a treat. To cut out the hole I used a drill bit and drilled around the circle I marked to get rid of the bulk.
Tommorrow I'll get the burr and die grind the hole to get it tidied up.
Other option would have ben to source the flanges that suit this turbo but $3 for a bit of steel plate and some elbow grease is much cheaper.
I'll take a few pics in the morning of the bits and peices I'm putting together.

I'm cutting up a spare set of stock headers off an older model buick engine I have here.
They are a steel header with some very tight bends and they are a good sized diameter pipe. They are a stupid design as stock because they join into a
"collector pipe" from all angles then shoot out at another stupid angle to head off down the exhaust. It will save me some more cost on pipes needed to make the header.

Just read that and it sounds good but it's hard to picture just what you're on about. Any chance of posting up some pictures of the car and engine bay etc for those who aren't familiar with Australian motors?

I hope the project is continuing but it has been quite a while since his last post. With a bit of luck he will see the new post notification from us and log in ;)