Center Lane Owners Club

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What do you do when there is a car in the center lane when he clearly should have moved over to the left hand lane? CLOC members should be dealt with and prosecuted for clogging up our motorways and causing congestion. Do you think that no undertaking is a daft rule anyway?

On these occassions and these occassions alone, when it is safe to do so, i always look to undertake a centre lane hogger - they're usually only doing about 50mph in it anyway!

I was talking to a bloke a few years ago who thought we should have American style freeway rules on our motorways, but as people aren't used to it, i reckon it would probably cause more trouble than it solved, at least initially. Maybe long term, with a gradual trial introduction it could work though...

It those persistant drivers who seem unable to change lanes. You pull in round then and make a big thing of moving over to the lane they should be in and they carry on blissfully unaware. Should these drivers be severly punished - or the rules on undertaking relaxed. We gotta keep our congested roads flowing. Bring on robot cars that drive themselves - hang on what am I saying :eek:

It turns a motorway into a single track road with everything else forced into the RH lane except HGV's which aren't allowed to use it.

Rather than get so prescriptive about this, do we not all think that the general driving standard in the UK is very poor?

It turns a motorway into a single track road with everything else forced into the RH lane except HGV's which aren't allowed to use it.

Rather than get so prescriptive about this, do we not all think that the general driving standard in the UK is very poor?

Yeah, but its better than Florida. Been there a few times and had some very close calls as a passenger. Its horrific there.

i usually undertake them if i think there going to sit there for a while or i do overtake them then cut them back up.

only thing about undertaking these idiots is they must have blinkers on, i cant see that ive passed the vehicles and the lanes empty, they might end up pulling back across with you on the inside

middle lane drivers is actually my pet hate, does anyone else think that really the driving standard on UK roads is appalling, most people on the road really dont know how to drive properly, yeah they can make the car move but thats about the limit of their ability. i used to undertake until i found out you can be done for dangerous driving! my insurance is expensive enough without points, all because the motorways are full of diddies:evil:

I've got to agree that the general driving standards in the UK is getting worse. Most people are in Sheep autopilot mode!

But sheep will not change direction unless acted on by another force (aka sheepdog). These motorists don't even overtake unlesss someone overtakes them. Then they suddenly remember this amazing manoever, overtake and go back to sheep mode!

I've undertaken a few people in my (quite short) time driving. Usually because they slow down quite quickly in the middle lane and I've just sailed past.

I will, however, admit to "hogging" the middle lane. It's not as bad as it sounds though. Because I often use the motorway in the wee hours of the morning, I tend to stick to the middle lane if there's no-one behind me. It just seems safer - I.E. I'm further away from anything I might crash in to.

BUT! As soon as I see a set of headlights behind me, I move over into the left hand lane. I'm not one for trying to annoy other road users. That's where I stand really... If there's NO traffic then fair enough, but if there is ANY at all, then don't do it :)

staying to the right of other traffic is totally acceptable if you're passing it in a timely fashion. ie. Getting on with it. What I find annoys me is when you're on a dual carriageway with NSL in force and some twit wants to over take 300 plus vehicles that are in the left lane.

Yes, they're going slightly faster than the left lane and there is dozens upon dozens of yards space between each vehicle in the left lane.

This, in itself is not a problem. But when the overtaking driver spends 3 minutes overtaking each one (driving at 70.000000001mph) winds me up. Surely that driver could move over to the left, thus occupying a little bit of the aforementioned dozens of yards, thus letting you or I pass in the RH lane in a period of 4-5 seconds. They can then re-assume their place in the RH lane and carry on at 70.000000001mph without inconveniencing anyone.

Where has common courtesy gone?

Manners cost nothing.

Thats quite a well reasoned rant HDI. It is the "slow" overtakers that snarl up the traffic. Its a shame you can't be prosecuted for impeding the progress of other road users.

Its not illegal to undertake if the lane on your right is going slower. Its moving over to undertake a single car that can get you into hot water.

So on the way to Abersoch this weekend, theres a Grey Mk5 Golf in front, lesser model than my own I might add.

And hes in the fast lane.

For ages.

Without pulling in.

Despite me being there on his tail for ages, at around 80mph.

So, taking matters into my own hands, I make sure the inside lane is clear and just poke my foot down in 6th - straight past him no worries, and back out into the fast lane. All of a sudden he starts flashing his lights at me! The nerve, frankly. Anyway, he overtook me later on, I think to make a point.

... so when we hit traffic, and I chanced upon the much faster que, he got two fingers and a laugh.

Ah people thinking like me! Most days now I find myself trying to stop myself raging at some muppet doing something muppetous! Always seem to have to avoid/avert someone elses f*** up every day.
Annoyances: Not indicating when going left at a roundabout and your sat there waiting like a dimwit, (sure indicators are optional extras now)
People that look right when about to merge onto main carriageway and see you coming and still pull out (usually a range rover esk)
People that cannot stay in their left lane (slow lane) round a roundabout and cut across you as if they're driving a festering artic.

Thats my monday morning rant :)

I can live with the center lane hoggers it the right hand lane owners that annoy me and they really do clog up our roads leaving little opportunity for others to make progress.

It's those that sit in the right hand lane and deliberatly attempt to force all other drivers to go at 65mph that annoy me. They are the ones that get really angry if you overtake them.

These are the same people who seem to think that overtaking on single carriageways is forbidden. Even if you pass them in a couple of seconds with half a mile of space to get back in they think that you've 'cut them up'.

Wrong, overtaking is not cutting up.

Must say, this is my biggest gripe on the road.

Why oh why some people are intent on just sitting in the middle lane when the inside is clear is beyond me, i usually, if safe to do so, will undertake and have a little glance over when passing and give them a little 'i hope you know why i am undertaking you' look, usually, people are chatting away or in a day dream, it does sometimes work however and people pull in behind you - do people not know that the middle lane is an overtaking lane!!!

driving up the M6 yestarday, just about every sign said not to hog the middle lane and plenty were,
also a couple who stuck to the middle lane no matter what didnt matter if the inside lane was empty or not, and never moving over to the fast lane even if there were 2 wagons overtaking

I'm regularly on the M6 & M5 in the early hours & the number of cars in the middle lane with no others cars in sight is unreal. There seems to be three categories I think,

The Ignorant.
Who think it's their right to drive how they please & who think the highway code happens to other people. The same people will also park on the yellow hatching outside supermarket cash machines because the space twenty feet away is too far & they also have those special invisible indicators fitted too.

*Special point. When you creep up on these people, be you in the fast lane or the slow lane they will speed up enough just to stop you passing them.

The Thumb up ar*e & mind in neutral society.
Who really have no idea what day it is & are idly wondering why that lorry they just over took & slowed back down to fifty five mph, is flashing his lights & blowing his horn.

The Terrified & the old.
People who sit so far forward their chewing the steering wheel, eyes big as saucers staring into the middle distance & too damn terrified to check the mirrors.
The old who's families who really should know better than to let them wander onto the motorway alone. Shame on you. :amuse:

Edit* with exception of Prevtecs grandmother :D

Last edited:
After they do a EWE turn they might RAM you :lol:

I've seen nervous drivers hogging the center because they don't want to get spit off when the road splits. They seem to think the middle lane is a way to go straight ahead through a complex junction system. If these people practiced changing lanes and using their mirrors they would be more relaxed and much safer drivers.