The motorbike lane

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on motorbikers, most of whom seem to create a lane between the outside lane and next one in weaving around the cars.

Should they just have a lane to themselves, does it annoy you or wind you up? Do you think it's dangerous or can bikers take good care of themselves?

(I bet this thread would be quite different if I'd posted it on a motorbike forum.)

What would be the point of riding if you had to stay in lane?

You have to be slightly mad to ride a bike in today's traffic and weaving in and out of traffic is not a problem for them as they are invulnerable :)

UK roads aren't wide enough to accommodate a bike lane.

Agreed - not enough room for a bike lane. Most bikers are pretty good at judging the mirror observation ability of car drivers so generally are well placed to look after themselves.

Cynically we could conclude that the ones that aren't so good are probably dead by now anyway, or have had a nasty enough scare to put them off riding for the rest of their lives.

I do feel that a majority of car drivers are not especially bike aware and thus I conclude that the biggest threat to bikers is in fact drivers of cars.

Agreed - not enough room for a bike lane. Most bikers are pretty good at judging the mirror observation ability of car drivers so generally are well placed to look after themselves.

Cynically we could conclude that the ones that aren't so good are probably dead by now anyway, or have had a nasty enough scare to put them off riding for the rest of their lives.

I do feel that a majority of car drivers are not especially bike aware and thus I conclude that the biggest threat to bikers is in fact drivers of cars.
Having been both I concur completely with your post.